UVB query

Boygeorge2023

Hi this is my set up and after having a good scroll through this forum I am thinking I may need a 12% t5 rather than a 6% could anyone advise I really don’t want to get anything wrong. His basking spot is around 30cm below the t5 which upon researching a 6% is recommended but I am aware as it’s on mesh this does reduce the output. I don’t want to buy a 12% if this is going to cause more issues. Can a chameleon get too much UV? Thanks everyone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 43
Oh yes a chameleon can get too much UVB. Infact all your researched distances assume a reflector and window screen is present, as most dont have the bulb "in" the cage.

Most dont recomend getting a 12% without a meter.

Oh ok so would you say the 6% is ok? He does seem to move himself away quite a lot it threw me when I looked at Arcadia website and said that if on a mesh lid that the bulb would be reduced by 30 percent. I did think too much uvb would be dangerous and thinking maybe where basking spot is would be too close for the 12 percent. Maybe a I should raise basking spot a little higher? Are meters easy to source?

You want a 8-9 inch distance to branches below for a 6% t5HO in a single bulb fixture sitting on top of the screen. I would add more branches so they are 8-9 inches down from the screen. Right now yours are roughly 12 inches away so he is in a much reduced UVI level for the 6% bulb. You can hook in more branches to the current branch network by using zip ties.

That’s amazing I’ll do that thank you and stick with the 6% bulb? I’ve just measure the main place he basks is just under 8 inches from the bulb itself (sure he’ll love me sticking a ruler in) but the other place is 11 so I’m add another branch. Thank you again 😊

Attachments

• IMG_6034.jpeg
    IMG_6034.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 37
That’s amazing I’ll do that thank you and stick with the 6% bulb? I’ve just measure the main place he basks is just under 8 inches from the bulb itself (sure he’ll love me sticking a ruler in) but the other place is 11 so I’m add another branch. Thank you again 😊
Yes, stick with the 6%. A 12% is going to be too strong.

Yes, stick with the 6%. A 12% is going to be too strong.
Sorry one last question I’m right in thinking heat lamp and uvb need to be on the same side? Typically side with perfect branches is other side but then would I also need to move the heat lamp?

Sorry one last question I’m right in thinking heat lamp and uvb need to be on the same side? Typically side with perfect branches is other side but then would I also need to move the heat lamp?
So this just depends on how you want it set up. I do not run my heat right on top of my UVB. I raise my heat fixture up about 4 inches off the screen and then have the branches 8-9 inches down. This reduces thermal burn risk from the heat lamp.

So this just depends on how you want it set up. I do not run my heat right on top of my UVB. I raise my heat fixture up about 4 inches off the screen and then have the branches 8-9 inches down. This reduces thermal burn risk from the heat lamp.
I have my heat lamp raised about 4 inches off the screen and then the uvb sits the same side just in front of the heat lamp(uvb towards the front of the enclosure) I was wondering if they both need to be the same side (in my case the right hand side) or could I have the heat on the right hand side and the uvb on the left. Only thinking this as all my high branches are in the left. If I moved the dripper and have the uvb there would this be an issue that there wouldn’t be a shady side to the enclosure?
image.jpg

I have my heat lamp raised about 4 inches off the screen and then the uvb sits the same side just in front of the heat lamp(uvb towards the front of the enclosure) I was wondering if they both need to be the same side (in my case the right hand side) or could I have the heat on the right hand side and the uvb on the left. Only thinking this as all my high branches are in the left. If I moved the dripper and have the uvb there would this be an issue that there wouldn’t be a shady side to the enclosure? View attachment 340895
So, ideally you want your UVB to run the entire width of your enclosure. Then heat on one side. This lets them choose if they want to sit in heat or move away from it to bask under UVB. You will want to figure out how to anchor other branches... Even if your using the front corner to lean a larger branch into toward the top then hook in more branches to those anchor points to utilize more of the cage space. These guys like to move around and right now he is limited since all his space runs against the back glass panel.

What I would do honestly is get a fixture that runs the width of your cage with a 6% bulb.

Then for that 24 inch fixture you have get a 6400 or 6500 daylight bulb to swap out with the UVB bulb. This would then be centered towards the front of the enclosure for plant lighting.

My pleasure. :)
Check this out if you have not found it yet. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

And Neptune the Chameleon on Youtube does fantastic videos.
I love Neptune watched lots of her. I’m definitely going to use this forum loads the fb groups give a lot of conflicting info and I am one to panic. I’ve screenshot your reply and for now I have centred the uvb rather than running over one side and ordered a full length one. I’ll get some more branches too I’d never thought about using the dent corner! Thank you so much again!

I love Neptune watched lots of her. I’m definitely going to use this forum loads the fb groups give a lot of conflicting info and I am one to panic. I’ve screenshot your reply and for now I have centred the uvb rather than running over one side and ordered a full length one. I’ll get some more branches too I’d never thought about using the dent corner! Thank you so much again!
Yeah the facebook groups are very very conflicting. There is only one I trust and it is the chameleon Enthusiasts. This is run by Bill Strand who has the Chameleon Academy site I gave you the link to. If you want a plethora of info and access to lots of different keepers and ideas the forum is a good place for you to be. We all are here to help new keepers succeed in this hobby.

Let me know if you need help finding the daylight bulb to replace the UVB in your 24 inch fixture.

Thank you I am just googling them as we speak. I’m so grateful found this forum at 3am this morning when I was having a melt down about not being happy with what I was told about supplements. I now have the info I hoped for 😄

Thank you I am just googling them as we speak. I’m so grateful found this forum at 3am this morning when I was having a melt down about not being happy with what I was told about supplements. I now have the info I hoped for 😄
LOL too funny. I found the forum in the wee hours of the morning during my nonstop nervous breakdown due to so much conflicting advise as well. Here I am almost 5 years later. As long as you stay clear of the wrong info you will be good.

LOL too funny. I found the forum in the wee hours of the morning during my nonstop nervous breakdown due to so much conflicting advise as well. Here I am almost 5 years later. As long as you stay clear of the wrong info you will be good.
Definitely I have kept snakes and have leopard tortoise but new to chameleons and I am paranoid about getting things wrong. Thank you again I will probably be back to ask about the plant light I get a bit confused with technical things lol

Back
Top Bottom