Unknown Bug

chameleons59

I recently found this bug in my cricket pen! I immediately separated it. It kinds lucks like a roach but super small and I've never had a single roach in my house. Also I live in Canada and its becoming pretty cold. Here is a picture. P.S Its about 2 centimeters.

Attachments

• WP_20141016_002.jpg
    WP_20141016_002.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 193
I say it's a superworm beetle. Someone mentioned mealworm beetle, but I've never bred those, so I don't know about that but, they look just like the superworm beetles I breed.

Maybe when I bought my crickets (a day before I noticed this), the store had put one in by accident? I don't know what else could've happened. Maybe it escaped at the store?

Also, as someone said... It did try to fly when I wanted to separate it into a different container. It spread its wings but only hopped. Maybe cuz I kept trying to pick it up with my insect tweezers?

Also, as someone said... It did try to fly when I wanted to separate it into a different container. It spread its wings but only hopped. Maybe cuz I kept trying to pick it up with my insect tweezers?

Kinyonga might be right then. Those beetles kinda flutter around.

beetle in cricket cage

I have found the same beetles. The pet store owner said they are from the food given to the crickets. I thought he said it was a potato bug. Not the kind I remember being 20 times larger and living in soil.
Anyway they are harmless to the crickets according to the pet store guy, but my cham won't eat them.
Greg

Okay, well if you go and type in 'potato bug' into Google images, you're right it looks nothing like a potato bug. I also tried potato beetle, but no. That's what I've heard those little beetles called at the pet store, potato bug. I guess the name is unknown

Back
Top Bottom