trouble pooping

Hampton

i havnt seen hamptons waste in the cage here recently and just saw him struggling it seems and all that he produced was a white fluid. is this something that he will work out on him own or is there something i can give him that is like a laxative to help him.he also seems to be sleeping in in the morning 2 hours past when his light turns on. here is his info
Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon – Ambilobe Panther Chameleon
• Handling – Handled for cage cleaning or transfer to house plant outside enclosure once every 1-2 wks
• Feeding – Crickets 6-7 a day, wax worms 1-2 every other day, gut-loading with fluckers pre mixed bug food, cup fed
• Supplements – Rep cal calcium dust crickets twice a week, rep cal calcium plus vit d once a week, Sticky tongue farms miner-all once every 2 wks.
• Watering – 70 oz dripper filled daily and a humidifier that is on/ off with the lights
• Fecal Description – NONE!!!

Cage Info:
• Cage Type – all screen enclosure 16x16x30, 1 Schleffera, bamboo sticks and 3 wood perches
• Lighting – repti sun 10.0 and a 60 watt basking lamp, on 8am – 8pm
• Temperature – 65 degrees lowest at night usually at 75, 85 at basking spot during daytime
• Humidity – humidity 65-70 controlled with modified humidifier.
• Plants – Schleffera
• Placement – Cage is corner of bedroom near large window, blinds opened every morning base of cage 2 ft off ground.

Horn worms are a good way to get things moving. Silk worms work as well. I see you have a 10.0 UVB. You might try raising that a little higher and see if the sleeping past lights on improves. My adult ambilobe had eye issues when I was using a 10.0 UVB and I have since replaced it with a 5.0 and moved it 2.5 inches above the screen. He is much more active and the eye scratching has stopped. Watch for keeping one eye closed as evidence of UVB over exposure. Might also up the mistings to make sure he is well hydrated. Good luck.

You can try babyfood pears too...but it would be good if you could figure out why he's constipated/not passing feces and why he's sleeping in.

Do you have a substrate in the cage?
What's in the supplements and cricket food in the way of prEformed vitamin A?
How old is he? How long have you had him?

I've mixed baby food pears and prunes with a little fish oil. The fish oil capsules are available at the healt hfood store. You need a syringe to suck out the oil, or you can cut them (messy). Mix a little with the fruit. If there is any foreign substance in there, the fish oil will tend to pick it up so it is passable.

You can get it without the D3 (you have to look for it). I've never used more than a drop or two at a time mixed with the baby food. The pears and prunes pull water into the gut and the fish oil coats the mucosa. In m experience, this mixture will produce poop in 12-24 hours, barring a really nasty mechanical obstruction.

Some have reported a lot of success with an extended shower. You need a plant (fake is okay) that your chameleon can hold onto....put it in the shower. Adjust the spray so it's bouncing off the wall onto the plant. When it gets warm (not hot, you should be able to keep a hand in it comfortably) put the chameleon on the plant and wait. There will likely be drama ("I'm melting!!!") but wait. Let it rain for 15 or 20 minutes if you can (I don't think Long Beach is under the same water rationing schedule as San Diego).

I've found that both of mine will give happily give me poop samples if I take them out and make them "ladder walk" my fingers for awhile. Mine are small though, so that might not be as easy with a panther. But I've never had one out and in my hands for more than 10 minutes without poop. I'm assuming it's their way of saying "We're so done now!"....But, if I need to see poop, then I'm willing to be pooped on...so, it works.

thank you so much i will start with a shower and move to fish oil and pears i hope tomorrow is the day that i can see something moving, he seems really bothered, he is a year this month and ive had him since he was 3 months old, no substrate in his cage and the soil in his plant is covered by rocks. thanks again i hope that we can avoid another vet visit, we were just there for eye problems.

Back
Top Bottom