toxicity

Leslie11

I use the eco terra vines in all of my cages. I have a male that keeps eating chunks out of his. Does anyone know if there vines are toxic? I do have the question posted on Amazon, but would rather have a quick answer. I do not have the packaging. Thanks!

I would contact the manufacturer and check with them. Is he just getting the outside part or is he getting some of the inner stuff too?

You could contact the manufacturer but they may be reluctant to share specifics about what may be proprietary information. I work at the Pittsburgh Poison Center and have come to learn that toxicity is relative. For instance an ant trap chemical eaten by an ant is harmless if eaten by a dog. So I would doubt the manufacturer would leave themselves open to potential litigation by using a substance that would be toxic to the very animals it was serving. I would be more concerned about a potential obstruction by a foreign body. I used to have these in my veiled's enclosure and he did show an interest in eating/tasting them so I removed them and just used sticks and twigs from my yard. I figured if he ate small amounts of the wood it was an organic and biodegradable substance. However he never tried to eat or taste them.

vines

Thanks so much for the info. I think I will take it out of his cage. He isn't eating his Dubias, and I can not find any feces. He just may be constipated with these chunks. I will keep you all posted on the problem. He doesn't seem to be sick and I have seen him drink water. Always something! :eek:

I have a male panther that likes biting the Exo-Terra vines, but I have never seen him swallow any and there have been no other problems. I have heard a lot of the material is cardboard, but not sure what else is in there.

I was considering replacing them with an alternative just since their so expensive.

Thanks so much for the info. I think I will take it out of his cage. He isn't eating his Dubias, and I can not find any feces. He just may be constipated with these chunks. I will keep you all posted on the problem. He doesn't seem to be sick and I have seen him drink water. Always something! :eek:

Your cham sounds like he may have a dangerous intestinal impaction (blockage) because he may not be able to "pass" the chunks of artificial vine.

How long has it been since he has eaten or pooped?

If it is more than 1 or 2 days, then you would be wise to take him to a cham-knowledgeable vet for treatment before he gets worse.

It is very important that your vet knows how to treat chams because one who does not can do more harm than good.

Back
Top Bottom