Totally new to chameleons (and reptiles)

chamazing

Hi,

So, as the title says, I'm new to reptiles, but I have extensive experience with fish.

Obviously, chameleons and fish are two very different animals with different needs, but as with fish, chameleons most likely need prior research before getting them.

So, I've done my research, and part of it is finding a forum to get info from.

My plan is to buy a beginner kit from Screameleons, and modify the supplements a little. Is it possible to just use Repashy Calcium plus instead of messing with the D3 and no D3 schedule?

Screameleon kit:

http://www.screameleons.com/ultimate-chameleon-setup-kit/

And what's the best product to gutload crickets with?

you can part together that kit for less, for gut loads there's cricket crack available from tikireptiles or repashy makes a good one too

there was actually a thread not too long ago about repashy calcium plus, where Allen Repashy posted a very informative response, personally I use calcium plus for my geckos and chameleons

This thread may give you some ideas on how to part together your own kit for a resonable price: https://www.chameleonforums.com/what-do-i-need-my-first-chameleon-84624/

Will a fixture like this work?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752661

And which brand of cages are better, Exo Terra or Zoo med Repti-Breeze?

What kind of fake branches or vines should I get? And how do I attach them to the side of the cage?

What kind of misting system should I get? Will the Exo Terra Monsoon misting system work? And how do I attach the nozzles to the side of the cage?

Welcome to the chameleon forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons. It is so nice to see someone on here doing their research before they get their chameleon. I still use the older supplements because it has worked for me and my daughter for over 8 years and I'm just afraid to try anything new. I have a blog for new keepers linked below and it will answer most if not all of your questions. It will have a link to where you can buy a highly recommend dry gutload. If there's anything else just ask and there's many senior keepers here to help you.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

I'm new to reptiles, but I have extensive experience with fish.

I'm kinda the opposite, have had reptiles for a long time, and just started with fish. What kind of experince do you have with fish?

As far as Chameleons, I have heard only good things about Mist-Kings for a misting system. Although I assume you are starting out with just one, so you don't exactly "need" a big system like that, although it would help ( especially if you plan on collecting). Even if you only get 1 animal, a misting system like a Mist-King would still be very helpful as you can progam it with a timer so you don't have to worry about spraying them yourself.

With chameleons I find the easiest way to care for them is insure they have a daily schedule such as, feeding same time per day, misting, lights, etc. If things are skipped, it can cause some stress an then their is potiential for them to become sick. Some chameleons will go on a hunger "strike" when stressed and it can be difficult to get them to eat agian as they lose weight.

The cage, from the 3 brand names you listed for cages, I don't really see any difference although some may offer different styles. I would look for the best deal/cheapest cage as you will be up-gradeing if you get a baby. BUT! get the best supplies ( mister, lights, plants, etc.) as those will be used through out it's life.

With attaching nozzels, and branches you may have to poke a hole to slide the nozel in. You can thread the hole shut in a "sewing" style to prevent it from tearing and improve the look. Or like another member on here, use 2 washers and glue them together.

Branches and vines. the best thing to use inside for foliage, is real plants. It's harder than keeping fake plants ( duh!) but it helps with humididty, and over all health.
I'd recomend looking at the following; hibiscus, ficus, pothos, lady palm, most palms except fish tail and caryota. ( theres alot more, just of the top of my head)

Good luck!

Welcome to the chameleon forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons. It is so nice to see someone on here doing their research before they get their chameleon. I still use the older supplements because it has worked for me and my daughter for over 8 years and I'm just afraid to try anything new. I have a blog for new keepers linked below and it will answer most if not all of your questions. It will have a link to where you can buy a highly recommend dry gutload. If there's anything else just ask and there's many senior keepers here to help you.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

If 'Mama' Jannb speaks, you should listen to her. She will not lead you wrong. :p

Ok, thanks guys. Jannb, I 'll be reading that blog.

Chamguy, oh man, you found the right guy. I have been keeping fish since I was a kid. I'm 20 now. I have kept fish like seahorses, catfish, cichlids, and right now jellyfish. Since I'm in college right now, I leave blood parrot cichlids in my parents' care. Those guys are pretty much bomb proof. And I keep jellyfish with me because they need more care. What fish are you planning to keep?

Chamguy, of all the plants, which are the easiest to care for? Will the chameleon lighting be enough for the plants?

How do I keep the crickets on the branches to feed the chameleon? Won't they fall off or jump off when I put them in there?

Will a fixture like this work?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752661

And which brand of cages are better, Exo Terra or Zoo med Repti-Breeze?

What kind of fake branches or vines should I get? And how do I attach them to the side of the cage?

What kind of misting system should I get? Will the Exo Terra Monsoon misting system work? And how do I attach the nozzles to the side of the cage?

as far as lighting fixtures go, it just depends on the size of the cage you're going to get. i started all my chams off in their adult cages so for a male...2x2x4ft cage. i got a dual light 24" fixture from diycages.com.

http://www.diycages.com/15264/22322.html

this is perfect for your UVB flourescent light bulb (reptisun 5.0) and a flourescent plant light bulb (6500K).

i'd go w/ a mistking. that's what i use. aquazamp is another brand that's good too. can't go wrong w/ either one but mistking has a starter kit...here. this vendor is in the us so cheaper shipping.

http://www.mistingdepot.com/product.php?productid=17527&cat=250&page=1

Chamguy, of all the plants, which are the easiest to care for? Will the chameleon lighting be enough for the plants?

How do I keep the crickets on the branches to feed the chameleon? Won't they fall off or jump off when I put them in there?

i hang a pothos plant in the cage and have an umbrella tree (scheffelera) in the cage. the reptisun 5.0 and the 6500k plant light will be plenty of light and will help your plants grow too.

as for feeding, i use a feeder cup but some crickets jump out and some stay in. my chams will hunt and eat from the cup. it's not a big deal if they don't stay in the cup, they will usually just climb to the top of the cage to the basking light b/c it's warm.

phew...i think i answered all your question. :):):)

Is there a misting system which I don't have to drill holes in the cage?

Will an adult cage fit one of these fake trees and a live weeping fig?

http://chameleonenclosures.com/products/

And how do I attach the branches/vines securely so that they don't fall and take the chameleon with it?

And are the Zilla cages the only cages with the little removable cover for the pre drilled hole? Or is that standard for all cages?

I'm talking about the small, round cover on the left side of the cage.

http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Fresh-S...518789&sr=8-13&keywords=chameleon+screen+cage

I'm going for this cage, but I don't know if it has that same feature as the Zilla cages.

http://www.diycages.com/15201/34001.html

Chamazing, you are getting really good advice from people here, keep up with the questions!

I would like to add an opinion, that possibly keeping the sorts of fish that you do is maybe better preparation for a chameleon than keeping other reptiles. Marine fish particularly have pretty precise requirements as far as ph, salt levels, temperature etc, so you will be more used to meeting very precise care requirements, whereas most of the commonly-kept reptiles are pretty tolerant of variable husbandry quality.

And welcome to the forum! You will love it here.

The Pathos are easy, and require low lighting. If you get enough that maybe all you need. The Chameleon lighting should be enough. Pathos would not need any additional lighting in a average lit room. And with the crickets, I just put mine in a bowl positioned halfway up the cage so you know if they are eating. Also prevents escapees and crickets from chewing on the chameleon at night.

Currently I have a 20 gallon reef tank with several types of coral, a pair of clowns, and a golby. This is my first saltwater tank, and "true" tank.The tank was set up in january of this year. I've had fish before but nothing above a platy, and they were all kept in a tortoise pond.

Chamazing, you are getting really good advice from people here, keep up with the questions!

I would like to add an opinion, that possibly keeping the sorts of fish that you do is maybe better preparation for a chameleon than keeping other reptiles. Marine fish particularly have pretty precise requirements as far as ph, salt levels, temperature etc, so you will be more used to meeting very precise care requirements, whereas most of the commonly-kept reptiles are pretty tolerant of variable husbandry quality.

And welcome to the forum! You will love it here.

Agreed! Many other reptiles don't have as varied requirments as chameleons. I have noticed that my experince with chameleons have helped in my set up of a reef-aquarium as there are many aspects you have to monitor inorder to keep balance.

Ok, I'm a little confused.

Can the dry gutload also be used to maintain the crickets? Or can it only be used 24 hours before feeding them to the chameleon?

I read up on the Repashy Superload on their website, and it says that the insects can't be fed with it for more than 48 hours. Is this a serious issue? And does it apply to other gutloads like Cricket Crack?

Ok, I'm a little confused.

Can the dry gutload also be used to maintain the crickets? Or can it only be used 24 hours before feeding them to the chameleon?

I read up on the Repashy Superload on their website, and it says that the insects can't be fed with it for more than 48 hours. Is this a serious issue? And does it apply to other gutloads like Cricket Crack?

for dry gutload, i use cricket crack. you can get them from steve (SSimsswiSS) on here on the forum or tiki tiki. they can be fed this as much as they will eat. the wet gutload like repashy bug burger and fruits and vegetables is for hydration instead of water b/c crix are dumb and will drown in a bowl of water. fruits and vegetables also add to the nurtitions your cham gets.

i've never used the repashy superload but i use their bug burger. it's def nice and easy to hydrate your chams w/ it when you're out of fruits and veggies.

Hey welcome to the forums ,ill answer a few of ur questions . I recommend the zoomed reptibreeze cages or the zilla . The 18x18x36 is one of the best ones because the cham can climb high and low. Crickets will hang on to the branches you are doing the best thing wich is doing your homework before buying the cham. This is the best place to learn,this sight is the best thing for us chameleon owners. I'm still learning. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom