Tobias fell... breathing problems?

RunCode3

I heard tobias climbing on the inside of his cage on the screen (4' cage and not really normal behavior recently), and then I heard a loud thud! I ran to his cage and he was on the floor. I carefully picked him up an inspected him for broken bones, abnormalities. I diddnt see anything, but he was pushing his tongue down a lot making his throat big. Then he made a hissing noise, but he diddnt appear to be stressed out. He made the hissing noise a few more times.

Tobias has been acting weird tonight. He has not eaten and seems much more stressed then normal. I hope this fall and the breathing problems isnt a sign of something serous.

What are signs of RI?

Im worried about my little guy and I have work all day tomorrow!

Then he made a hissing noise, but he diddnt appear to be stressed out.
He has not eaten and seems much more stressed then normal.
What are signs of RI?

Chameleons fall from time to time for no reason. If you can open his mouth and take a peek. That would be a good idea. https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ form.

Not sure about the stressed part.

RI:
Symptoms: Wheezing, crackling sounds, bubbles in or around the mouth, head pointed vertical, basking much more than usual, not eating, drinking or moving around as usual, they appear to be swallowing more frequently..

If he does indeed have a RI...

Solution: Steamy showers or a warm mist humidifier, YOU WILL NEED TO SEE A VET for Marbocyl F.D or fortaz (Ceftazidime),
baytril. Make sure to clean the chameleons mouth as need of extra saliva. Baytril also may kill digestive flora. Be sure to use a product like nutribac to restore or as stated above.

Sounds like he might have landed weird and even bruised something. Imagine you took a fall and your neck landed on a branch....wouldn't you be working that out and doing some strange sounds/breathing things until comfort returned?

When you say "hissing" is he hissing, like he does when you do something he doesn't like? Or are you hearing a noise?

As you say he's been "off" for a bit, it might be advisable to fill in the dreaded form and see if there's something that people can spot which might be a problem. While chameleons are built to take falls and they do fall....when you say he's been off then he fell, now he's MORE off....that seems like there might be some underlying problem, not necessarily an RI.

Back
Top Bottom