Thoughts on handling

boj3434

Just kind of wanted to know what peoples thoughts on handling their chameleons are. I myself think it depends on the chameleon. I have one that I hold daily because he rubs up against the cage door until I open it and he will always walk out by himself and actually doesnt like to go back. Yet I have another that I rarely hold I try sometimes but I dont like to forces anything on him.

What does everyone else think??? depends on chameleon, only to clean or very rarely, or does anyone think that handling isnt as bad as people say sometimes.

Just curious what everyone's views on it are.

My male ambilobe is the same way with wanting to climb on me. I usually let him walk onto my hand or shoulder each morning. He actually seems to get depressed when I dont allow him to climb on me first thing in the morning. For almost a year now he comes to the front of the cage when I go in to mist and reaches out for me. My female on the other hand will not have any of that. She will not bite me but has never willingly crawled onto my hand.

I get Sunny out once a week she doesn't really like it and I don't force her on my hand but I get her out for a once over. I really feel like she knows me now though and once shes out she does climb around on me a little bit and she never used to do that so I think she is getting used to me. When I put her back she goes on with her day and I don't think it affects her. Thats just me though I don't believe that once a week is gonna kill her or hurt her in any way.

Ya I love that my chameleon likes to come out I just hope he stays that way but I doubt hell change since i let him out just about as much as he wants, which is alot :)

I think as long as your chameleon likes to come out and doesn't get stressed-like Farley!-then its great! As long as you don't force them out. I wish Kamish would like to come out more!

I handle mine every day they even eat vegies out of my hand:p If you think your cham is going to fall over dead by handleing it probably will.

Each cham is different, my three being prime examples.

Isabella does not really give a darn what you do to her, though she enjoys the sun trips.

Luciano hates everyone and anything, even daily mistings send him on his rampage, and crickets suffer later on.

Leo loves to come out his cage, he won't walk out but once your hand is under him he lets go of the branch and just slides on. Though he will get mad if he is not allowed to watch either A. Tv or B. the computer... something about it attracts his eyes and he will sit on my shoulder/hair just watching.

Let's realize that the chameleon doesn't want to be your buddy.

It wants "out" as in explore the outside.

Some animals don't show any agression towards their owner/keeper.

Some animals go out of their way to bite you.

Overall, chameleons are great at hiding stress until it's their numbered days.

Respect your "display animal" and keep him/her in their cage as much as possible.

Just my two cents.

BTW, not sure if some people on here continue to think when your chameleon climbs on top of your head, that its OK... that its cute and all.. thats one thing.. but its not a game. They instinctively climb upwards. Shyyyt man, I bet if we suddenly shrunk "honey i shrunk the kid's style" LOL they would look at us, forget us, and then eat us! LOL

I dont know I think someone should do a massive study on chameleon stress I think it wold be really interesting. Maybe I should get it going.

I can see both sides of the argument and here is my two cents. The chams that most of us keep are 'captive bred' and raised. This means they are use to humans and cages and rely on us for food, lighting, hydration, etc. So they are 'conditioned' to tolerate us and really don't know what it is like to be able to roam, hunt and have a free life. On the other hand if you have a 'wild caught' cham then 'YES', they would be more stressed by our presence and interferance. There are many other lizards people keep as pets, like iguanas, beardies, geckos, etc. and they are all suseptible to stress. I agree that you should let you cham out to explore and exercise if he wants. What I don't agree with is holding your cham for long periods of time. If you notice when you do, they are all over the place on you, and 'this' to me is what is stressful. You can set up an exercise area for your cham that doesn't require lights, drips, etc. I have a tree limb I cut that goes from the floor to the ceiling with many branches on it. My chams will climb all over it or just find a spot to chill. I 'do' make sure they have had their morning mist and drip and food and usually they come out late afternoon and I let them fall asleep on their limb. In the morning they are ready to go back in for food and water.

My Othello is wild-caught, so I don't expect him to "love" me at any point in our relationship, and I respect that. I only take him out if I need to do a close-up health check, or if I need to weigh him. Otherwise, I don't take him out. He is more comfortable with me now though, he'll come up to the door if I'm holding a shallow dish with goodies and eat with me right there, and he'll sit there happy as a clam if I'm giving him a warm shower.

And then I don't take out Cerberus much either, just for weekly health checks since he's so little. But it's really interesting that he, who was born in captivity and has spent every day of his life with people, is terrified of me. It just shows how built-in the instinct to blend in and hide is for these animals. I don't have any expectations to be able to hang out with him on my shoulder or something while I walk around the house, but I do hope that as time goes by he get's more comfortable with me.

Back
Top Bottom