This is bad, right?

BananaSlug

Okay, okay... I know this is completely wrong. Here's the deal. I had this terrarium set up for my dart frogs right, it's a 55gal with waterfall and such, as you can see. We had a major ice storm that knocked out power for almost two weeks and my frogs died. Sucked...I tried moving them to a friends house that had power, but without the proper set up they couldn't survive.
So I fugured that a chameleon would be nice, since I could quit raising fruit flies. (My wife didn't really enjoy cups full of maggots in our house haha). I found him at PetSmart and the chick assured me that my terrarium was PERFECT. I should have done my homeowork first, but what's done is done...No looking back. I am slowly putting together the right kind of enclosure for a chameleon, but it may take another month or so since I am on a limited budget. Of course this little guy drinks from the waterfall, and it is a futile effort to get him to drink from anywhere else. I feel really bad because I don't want him to get sick and right now I can't provide proper care. Like I said, I should have done my homework first.
If it is any consolation, the waterfall is teaming with moss, and the pool at the bottom is full of plants, so I would like to think that the foliage helps keep

Oh man.
It IS bad right.
Veiled chameleon?
How old?
We might be able to DIY a suitable temporary enclosure with materials you have around the house ... BUT ... it is not a good permanent solution and we need to know the age and species.

-Brad

Oy!
Figure out a way to undo what that petsmart has done asap, please.
can't you just refund the aquarium and buy a screen cage instead? it's way cheaper.

They claimed that he was about 4 weeks. I have had hime now for 3 weeks, so maybe 2mo? Veiled yes...And no, i cant take the aquarium back, I have had it for a couple of years!! The waterfall can't come out, I built it myself....and it is permanant. I will try to get a couple of pics... Well actually I tried but it said they were too big... Other than the aquarium and waterfall (eesh) everything else is correct. Temps, humidity, lighting, all good. I am desperately trying to keep him a fresh air supply by using two small computer fans, one in and one out. Trust me, there is NO way he could come in contact... I'll try again witht the pics...

when i bought mine from petsmat they told me i need a 10 gal fish tank...so like an idiot i bought it and hade it for maybe a month AT MOST!!!!
i learnt that they stress when they see their reflection and my veiled would fly out as soon as i opened it! i felt so heart sore to see him like that so i got a much bigger screen encosure and he never wanted to come out then! :D

i gotta say that's a gorgeous terrarium.
you have a very nice set up for pygmys :)
provided that you stop using the waterfall.

i say start from scratch and buy a tall screen enclosure :)

Well as soon as I move my veiled out, I will probably move dart frogs back in. against the advice of my wife lol...

Back
Top Bottom