Thermal Burns!

Diego Lamb

So ive just noticed some small white patches on my Chameleons head. I suspect it may be a thermal burn, but im not sure. Anybody able to help me out here?

Attachments

• DSC_7994~2.jpg
    DSC_7994~2.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 594
  • DSC_7997~2.jpg
    DSC_7997~2.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 825
  • DSC_8005~2.jpg
    DSC_8005~2.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 399
does not look bad to me . do you have a heat source so close to the top of the cage that it could be a burn ? if so I would move the heat source high enough that burns could not happen

Your panther looks fine to me.
You need to check the distance he is from the hot basking lamp, it needs to be a good 10'', and take into account the top of their head, and the top spine.
The spine can burn very easy.
I lost a panther due to infection that quickly spread from a spine burn.
Chams heal very slowly, and local infection can spread through their hole body very quickly.

The heat is raised about 3 inches above the screen top. Basking spot is about 10 inches from heat source. He sometimes climbs upside down on the screen cage (approx. 4" from heat source). As there are no burns on the uderside of him I dont think his upside down climbing antics are to blame. In fact, its more likely that he burnt whilst basking on my hand (which makes me feel very guilty).

So assuming this is a thermal burn...is there anything I can do to help?

Do you think this sort of burn will scar him?

How long should the healing process take?

With the way you are describing your heating, I don't think it is a burn. It could just be a few areas that are going to shed. My chameleon just shed his one eye the other day and one of his feet! I have also seen mine shed little pieces of their head and crest, just like that. If it is a burn, you can put some silver sulfadiazine crème on it. Even some Neosporin would not hurt.

With the way you are describing your heating, I don't think it is a burn. It could just be a few areas that are going to shed. My chameleon just shed his one eye the other day and one of his feet! I have also seen mine shed little pieces of their head and crest, just like that. If it is a burn, you can put some silver sulfadiazine crème on it. Even some Neosporin would not hurt.

I would like to think its shedding. He is young though, and his last three sheds have lasted no more than 3 hours from start to finish. Just hoping I havent caused any permanent damage. Damn.

I can't be 100% sure because it's a picture, but I would have to agree it just looks like shed to me. I had a veiled once that burnt his casque and the burnt part ended up falling off. But it looked way worse than this.

Classic thermal burn, although very minor. Note that the occipital ridges also show the same discoloration. I'd get the bulb further away, or use a lower wattage bulb.

That will heal with no intervention or scarring, just make sure it doesn't get scorched again.

Last edited:
Classic thermal burn, although very minor. Note that the occipital ridges also show the same discoloration. I'd get the bulb further away, or use a lower wattage bulb.

That will heal with no intervention or scarring, just make sure it doesn't get scorched again.

Thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom