The Taming of the Chameleon

It may be long, but its a great read! Lots of us are nodding our heads, and for the new owners some questions will be answered that you wont get from books or research on the web. I also think this would be a great blog topic. I would only suggest adding pictures next time so you will get everyone's attention :D!

Thanks, I thought of adding pics too late!! can I edit it or should I just turn it into a blog, then stick in some pics??!!
I've never done a blog before (guess u can tell ;) )

I started one, and then gave up for now. Still trying to work out the details of how I want it to go. Just an FYI, I think Zaphod read your post. Today for the first time since moving into his new enclosure instead of hiding behind a vine when I looked in at him, he slowly moved down to his feeding cup and told me it was time for lunch! :D So I'm not sure who is training who! ;)

I started one, and then gave up for now. Still trying to work out the details of how I want it to go. Just an FYI, I think Zaphod read your post. Today for the first time since moving into his new enclosure instead of hiding behind a vine when I looked in at him, he slowly moved down to his feeding cup and told me it was time for lunch! :D So I'm not sure who is training who! ;)

LOL! that's great! it's a wonderful feeling to see the tiny steps of progress :)
Plus, I always knew chams snuck peeks at this forum when we are away ;)

Thank you for sharing that..it is VERY helpful! I've only had my nearly 4 month old male veiled a month and a half, but I've been trying to get him less terrified of me. After having him in a room off by himself for the first couple of weeks so he could settle in, I have now moved him into our living room, so he can get used to seeing us come and go. It seems to have worked. He has started coming to his top perch out in the open and looking at me. He doesn't run and hide when I wipe out the bottom of his cage, and possibly the biggest breakthrough we've had....he drank from his dripper in front of me!!! :D Baby steps...but he is coming right along. Of course I would love for him to be one of the ones that always wants to come out and hang out with me, but if I can just get him to the point where I can handle him without him being scared and stressed, I will be happy.

Again...thanks for the information! It was very informative and helpful!

Thanks everyone :)
I have started a blog with the op as subject in case anyone wants to check it out.
I hope to add more pics to make it look more interesting soon :)

I just got a new panther myself, only my second day having him!

This post informed me a lot, and will help me throughout my time with him. I will say, he was already eating on his first day, and even took two crickets out of my hand!

He still will only show me dark colors though, today will be his first day alone, so hopefully that will do him some good!

awesome advice and tips ,but wether my cham likes me or not i love him and i just leave him alone cause the next dayy all of sudden they wannt to snuggle up and those are the moments i perfer

This is very good! Nice work :) I think it should be made into a sticky. I know it would have been a lot more helpful before I got my first cham.

I thought the post was cute and informative.
It made me smile a few times also while reading it.
Great job PBunny

Taming my Cami...

Hi everyone. I am the recent owner of a Senegal Chameleon I named Camille (cami for short).
I got her from work, and I chose her for the simple fact that when I went to touch her she didn't shy away like the others. I brought her home. Left her alone for a day. I noticed she slept alot for the first few days, I fed her in a glass cup. Put a couple crickets in there and she ate them. This was the first and last time she ate this way. I bought fruit flies, needless to say I think she likes those better than the crickets. Now I put a few in her cage at a time, I never see her move that quick as when She's chasing her food around. It's so cute!
Whenever I put my hand in her cage to get her she always climbs right on. One thing I do about once a day for 15-20 minutes is turn the shower on, let the bathroom fill with steam and put her on the counter,on a plant, she loves it. She tried to crawl up the mirror, looks like a Chameleon mime. Ha-ha. Once I was in the shower at the time and when I got out I put my hair up in a towel on top of my head and she put her arms up so I put my hand out, she crawled up my arm, up my shoulder (scratching on the way up) and climbed on top of my towel on my head and sat there. It was so funny, and was then I realized how much personality she has. During the day I keep her door open and she comes out and crawls up my spotted curtains, turning spots herself and walks along the top of the rod. I am lucky to have such an amazing pet. I never thought I would have a reptile. Let alone a Chameleon I came to love. So I think it's Very true about patience. I took her outside once and she like got so dark and her chin puffed out and mouth opened.. I don't think she liked it. Is there anything u can suggest for taking her outside? Or is it not a good idea. She seems happy with walking all over my couch and bed and curtains. I don't want to stress her out so I haven't taken her outside since then.

Thanks everyone.
I really need to go and edit that blog.
Some members have given me ideas, and I have learned a few new things about cham behaviour.

i will be a newbie on friday....i'm so excited. I'm so glad i found thing. i would most likely have started off very slowly to win his trust but i would never have started trying to hand feed quite so quickly. Thanks and i can't wait to get my lil' GEORGE.....

I will definitely try this I am at the stage where he is comfortable eating out of my hand , I will buy more vines and attach them near the top of his cage to make him feel more comfortable thanks for this great info

very helpful

This post helped me a lot with my new baby cham. He is my first and I am fortunate to have read this before he arrived.

Back
Top Bottom