..the arrival of my melleri

Miss Machine

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I finally picked up my Meller's chameleon!
I don't know if its a male or a female. The animal is about 2 to 2,5 years old. I bought it from a store, who housed him in a large enclosure (6'x6'x4) for about 7 months. The store owner has experience with chameleons and took this melleri out of the care of his former owner. He was not taken care of properly. He was dehydrated, skinny and he had burn marks on the left side of his occipital lobe and signs of not shedding well, probably because of dry enclosure and malnutrition.

The store owner took good care of him. He is hydrated, has a good weight and is not a very stressfull animal.

My animal is getting the same size glass enclosure. But that's being built at the moment. So now he is in a 24x24x48 glass enclosure for about two or three weeks.

Here are the first pictures! I wonder what experienced melleri-keepers think of him/her ;). The animal is called 'Melle' and that's a typical Dutch name...
Yesterday I could give him some natural sunlight. He also had a good drink this morning and ate three grasshoppers!

2012-04-14%252015.55.14.jpg

2012-04-14%252015.55.21.jpg

Congrats Wendy on the Melleri! There's a Melleri Discovery here that you can join. My daughter use to keep Melleri and they were a very rewarding species to keep.

I think your melleri looks good! I love both of mine to bits. I am not able to offer much advice as both of mine are just 8 1/2 months old. What I offer is based on limited interaction. I have been over to see several groups at friends homes and they are very laid back, most are willing to be held, they eat almost anything, and take poops that are huge! Most people try to free range mellers, but I do know people who keep them in cages.

I will look forward to more pictures and would love to see pictures of all your chams. It looks like you have a nice diverse group.

Thanks everyone for your nice comments!

As requested, here are pics of all my animals ;-)

My almost two year old (in june) veiled Pete
2011-07-11%252017.25.27.jpg

My also almost two year old (in july) CB red ambilobe panther K
2012-01-15%252013.25.42.jpg

My about 2 year old WC verrucosus Fred
SNV10894.JPG

My about 13 month old WC oustalets Jack
2012-01-15%252014.15.39.jpg

My pair CB Trioceros quadricornis Barney (13 months) and Betty (6 months)
417267_352306938147955_100001059559579_1127517_1422611524_n.jpg

One of my R. temporalis females, age unknown. I have two pairs in a 36x18x24 Exo Terra glass enclosure
2011-08-23%252020.07.02.jpg

And a picture of their enclosure
2011-08-22%252018.24.37.jpg

And my about 2,5 year old WC Mellers called Melle
2012-04-15%252011-1.51.47.jpg

Nice collection! I'm interested to know more about your verrucosus! I picked one up about a month ago and he is probably 6 months old? Is yours still very shy? He doesn't look it in that photo!

Thanks allencg101, K9Luvn and maxttu for your nice comments!

Maxttu, my verrucosus is a bit shy. He is the most shy of all my species. Sometimes a bit agressive when i stick my hand in his home for some maintenance. But i understand, it his home ;-). But its more puffin up, nothing more. He has never bitten me. I only got bitten by my veiled when he was about 4 months old, my panther who's fairly agressive and territorial (and he drew blood haha) and my oustalets Jack the first day I got him.

I love all my animals dearly and their well being is my all time concern!

But Melle is really the very, very last chameleon added to the family.

Thanks for the pictures. i always enjoy your chams.:D And about mele being the last? All I can say is I have said that more than once. I have no will power. Maybe I lack won't power, won't past up a cham I want.:eek:

Thanks Laurie!

'won't power' ..LOL I have none too when it comes to chams. But this time I really have to! No more space left.... ;)

Maxttu, my verrucosus is a bit shy. He is the most shy of all my species. Sometimes a bit agressive when i stick my hand in his home for some maintenance. But i understand, it his home ;-). But its more puffin up, nothing more. He has never bitten me.

Man, tell me about it! Anytime he eyeballs me he immediately swings to the side of his stick and freezes! Kinda cute, but hurtful at the same time. That's ok, I've only had him for a few weeks. I'm sure he'll grow out of this stage (crossing my fingers!!!) :D

I definately know what you mean Maxttu ;-). My Fred does that when he is on the way to his sleeping spot.

But mostly when he is on his sun spot, then he eyeballs me with his eyes forward and when I come too close, he turns his back on me and wonders off haha.

Back
Top Bottom