Tegu!

xephyr17

I seriously want a tegu. I ordered one at the local pet shop (they'll call me when they have one they can order first). Just wanted to find out if anyone else has one or knowledge on what it's like keeping them. I'll be getting a black/white Argentine, probably. :D

They are fun to work with. I have two red tegus at 3 feet each. They are very intelligent. They can be very docile. If you get a young one, hold it often to build the trust with the tegu. They get very large and can easily attain lengths of 4 to 4.5 feet. A large cage is a must. Most will brumate for several months each year. If you end up with a tegu with a great disposition, it will be a very rewarding purchase for you and will have years of enjoyment from them.

I have one! Her name is Howard (yes, i know.. 50:50 shot with the name)

She is the cutest thing alive, already at 3 feet in length, she wont grow any more. They are definitely rewarding animals to keep.

Here she is trying to hide inside a paper bag

I have a pair-
an ancient female I got from Bert Langerwerf's place after his death. She was already huge when I got her (well over 3' by the way- probably closer to 4) and she is still alive and kickin, although her last clutch of eggs was 2012. I have a male who is smaller (about 3') from a guy who catches feral tegus in Florida. He is tame even though he was wild caught (in florida) at this size, earlier this summer.

They are fun to work with. ... They get very large and can easily attain lengths of 4 to 4.5 feet. A large cage is a must. Most will brumate for several months each year.

The guy at the local pet store (he goes by Jake, the Reptile Guy... no last name, I swear) says that they're super great. He's getting one soon himself, but he's raised a few before while they were at the pet store before they sold.

I have a 10'x10'x7' enclosure that I've built... it used to have like 4 ferrets in it, but they've all passed except one, which is on her way out :( I'm probably going to be putting her down soon, cleaning the place out and waiting for my tegu to come in at the pet shop...

How many months do they brumate?? Is it every year, no fail?

WHITE :) not GOLD :mad: !!!!!!! careful wearing flip flops. seen as chew toys.

Yeah, I've done my research on that aspect! Gold are EVILLLLL apparently... :rolleyes: I'll be careful :cool:

I have one! Her name is Howard (yes, i know.. 50:50 shot with the name)

She is the cutest thing alive, already at 3 feet in length, she wont grow any more. They are definitely rewarding animals to keep.

Here she is trying to hide inside a paper bag

THAT IS ADORABLE!! Now I have to have one... it's happening... without fail...

Mine will do that... I hope :p

P.S. Howard is a great name, what are you talking about :D

I have a pair-
an ancient female I got from Bert Langerwerf's place after his death. She was already huge when I got her (well over 3' by the way- probably closer to 4) and she is still alive and kickin, although her last clutch of eggs was 2012. I have a male who is smaller (about 3') from a guy who catches feral tegus in Florida. He is tame even though he was wild caught (in florida) at this size, earlier this summer.

That's so cool! I hadn't even heard of tegus until like tree weeks ago and I've been all over researching them since. Kind of like what happened with chameleons about a year ago.

I just have to convince my mom to let me get one :cool: I think once I have all of my colonies going on insects and whatnot I should be okay. It just costs money to feed all these critters I've got...

What shop are you talking about? I've seen him drive around on I84. The reptile house in Tigard has a couple black and white babies for sale (was just there today getting some feeders). They also have a sweet adult female that you would probably get to meet if you haven't seen one in person.

We have a store in our area that has two 3' white tegus that free range the store. Completely docile. Unless you wear flip flops, and they are in a weird mood. Very rarely. But happens. My son is fascinated by them. Wonder if he would be with a gold one? :eek:

What shop are you talking about? I've seen him drive around on I84. The reptile house in Tigard has a couple black and white babies for sale (was just there today getting some feeders). They also have a sweet adult female that you would probably get to meet if you haven't seen one in person.

I'm talking about Critter Cabana in Wilsonville :) I haven't gone to the reptile house maybe I'll go there this weekend! Where at in Tigard is it?

We have a store in our area that has two 3' white tegus that free range the store. Completely docile. Unless you wear flip flops, and they are in a weird mood. Very rarely. But happens. My son is fascinated by them. Wonder if he would be with a gold one? :eek:

Yeah, I've heard stories about the flip flops xD I'll be careful with that!!! Whew!

If you are in the metro Portland area go down I5 south and take the tigard/mcminnville exit. It's a pretty imediate right from that exit. The sign in the strip area says REPTILES not the name to the shop The House of Reptiles.

http://house-of-reptiles.com/

well if you get one, hope you have room for a pretty big enclosure :) reptile store has his own on display and its 5 foot long, nearly same length as iguana pretty much.

Do wish pet stores wouldn't sell them along with monitors and iguanas cheap then people start to realise "wow he/she is big, I don't have room"

well if you get one, hope you have room for a pretty big enclosure :) reptile store has his own on display and its 5 foot long, nearly same length as iguana pretty much.

Do wish pet stores wouldn't sell them along with monitors and iguanas cheap then people start to realise "wow he/she is big, I don't have room"

Even 5 foot is a bit small for a fully grown tegu. Should be at least 6x4 floorspace... preferably much larger though.

Back
Top Bottom