t9dragon's custom build thread....

t9dragon

I was going to convert this into Dart Frog enclosure but have now decided to use it for Veiled Chameleons. Does anyone have any ideas on sealing it so the wood won't rot?

DSCN0430.jpg

DSCN0428.jpg

Thats a big cage and your chameleon will love it but you need a screen mesh at least at the sides or it will have problems breathing.

Minwax something can't thing of the name right off the bat... Its their blue can. Safe for reptiles but make sure you leave the enclosure outside for 2-3 weeks to allow the fumes to die out.

I used minwax waterbased polyurethane, two coats for my wood frame cage, it's working very well so far at resisting water absorption. It's available at home depot and probably any other home improvement store, and while it's a little pricey, I really appreciated how little off-gassing of nasty fumes it had. I left it outdoors in the sun for about a week to make sure it was well cured before I started using it.

Spar polyurethane is stuff in blue can and works well. You can also use epoxy, but it is very hard to apply. It's the stuff you see on bar tops. Probably better w spar.

I've always had great success with the stuff they use when making your own aquarium from wood. Been years and can't remember name, but I'm sure it can still be googled.:)

Back
Top Bottom