t5 fixtures

Zero84

I found a t5 4 bulb fixture for $90 dollars by oddesea on aqua traders. I was curious if the t5 arcadia bulbs would function in this fixture properly. I am guessing it would not matter. I read some posts from reef tank keepers and they were using 10,000k and 18,000k bulbs which is much more than the arcadia bulbs. I was considering using two 46 in 54 watt forest d3 bulbs and two 6500k grow bulbs. My enclosure is very large roughly 8x8x4. It has a circular window in it that lets in a fair amount of light. When I first set it up my plants were just about level with the window. With in a year they had grown to the window and blocked most of the light out. I am about to rearrange his enclosure and refinish it. Last summer I had to battle a severe ant problem. My cham was super stressed from the ants and moving him in and out of his cage for several months during the war. I eventually had to have my the exterior of my house sprayed. No ants now. I am currently using two 75 watt power sun bulbs and two reptisun 5.0 bulbs, but it is time to replace them.

You will want to ensure that the fixture is high output. There are a lot of T5 fixtures that are not high output. It should state this expressly.

Thank you for your response. It does express that it supports 4 54 watt HO bulbs.

You should be good to go. Todd from lightyourreptiles.com (site sponser) is the go to guy for bulbs and he can double confirm your fixture works. Enjoy, Arcadia lights are the best!

I know my cham will. I want to get his enclosure back to the way I want it. I am just waiting for some extra income to get new lights, soil, and plants.

I would think about having one 12% D3+ and one D3 bulb due to the large area it will cover. i use the 12% on top of my panther cages fine.

Thanks for the input. I will consider doing that. I do take him outside for 45 minutes to 2 hours twice a week during the warmer months. He gets some good Texas sun and a long shower each time. I want to replant his cage soon, but I am worried now that it is warming up the pavement ants are going to come back. If I replant it and they do it will be a nightmare. It is hard enough removing large potted plants multiple times and repotting them. I posted a new thread on feeding methods in large enclosure in the feeding forum, but only got one response. I would like to free range, but I am not sure how that would work out. I am considering trying to build a simple larger feeding bin. Something he can actually crawl into and feed more naturally. I have always hand fed or put crickets or worms on branches. He eats well most of the time, but seems to like the hunt. As we all do. Any ideas?

Even a single 12% t5ho arcadia bulb will produce more than enough uv, I suggest useing the 6% to most unless thay have a solormeter and can measure and adjust to get a safe uv level.
As stated Todd at LYR is the man to get in touch with he has all the bulbs and fixtures and is a great guy to deal with.

I do not have a solar meter so I will consult Todd before I make a final choice. I feel like my cham gets sufficient uv from me taking him outside plus what he gets inside. It is during the winter months that I would be most concerned about. Maybe I will switch to the higher uv bulb during those months. The enclosure is large enough that I feel he can get enough distance and shade from the uv. I am probably going to start using basking bulbs instead of mercury vapor bulbs when I get the t5 bulbs. Any thoughts on free range feeding in enclosures of this size.

Back
Top Bottom