T. Montium Babies

Thank you all.

I received a learning experience i want to share. I used a finer ground vermiculite as the incubation media. I found three dead on the floor of the tote today. All three had a mouth full and I mean completely packed. Not sure why or how but there wont be a next time.

1. Pay more attention to details.
2. Use a coarser (bigger) ground vermic.

Pretty disappointed, that they taught me the hard way. Lesson learned.

Thank you all.

I received a learning experience i want to share. I used a finer ground vermiculite as the incubation media. I found three dead on the floor of the tote today. All three had a mouth full and I mean completely packed. Not sure why or how but there wont be a next time.

1. Pay more attention to details.
2. Use a coarser (bigger) ground vermic.

Pretty disappointed, that they taught me the hard way. Lesson learned.

In your pictures it looked like you had a mix of fine and course vermiculite as your medium. Was this the case? When did the deaths happen in relation to the hatching? I am just trying to piece together the sequence of events. Is it that ten hatched and three died later on or that three were left in the incubator for longer than the others? Just wondering why most survived and only three died.
Thank you very much for sharing! This is a timely post for me as I have some clutches due to hatch soon and I didn't think to consider a danger with fine vermiculite.

Bill

All 11 hatched. All three died within 12 hours of hatching. I have not opened a mouth of any of the remaining to see if they have indeed done the same thing. I will say this though, these three from the time i removed them from the container. They had eyes closed and did not move around as much as the rest.
The medium does have some coarser pieces in it but is mainly composed of finer pieces. Its almost like sand.

Are you expecting montiums?

Update

The white dots on there sides turn sky blue already. Everyone looks good. Really active, drinking, chasing pinheads and flies. Really excited.

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
All 11 hatched. All three died within 12 hours of hatching. I have not opened a mouth of any of the remaining to see if they have indeed done the same thing. I will say this though, these three from the time i removed them from the container. They had eyes closed and did not move around as much as the rest.
The medium does have some coarser pieces in it but is mainly composed of finer pieces. Its almost like sand.

Are you expecting montiums?

Thanks for the information.
I have some quads on the way and every one is precious, of course!

Thanks for the information.
I have some quads on the way and every one is precious, of course!

Never had any issues with this medium till now. Either way, from now on i use the bigger pieces. Wish you the best with your clutch.

They look great!! Good luck with them.

They thank you. I need all i can get ;)

Wow they are very stunning. Congrats on the little ones. Keep us updated.

Thank you, will do for sure.

Update 9.25.12

Some pictures of the little ones growing. Eating 2 week crickets and hydei. They love anything that flies as usual. Temps in the mid 70's. These really huddle as a group at night.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Omg John! those are amazing!!! I have 2 gravid females and should be receiving a male tomorrow:) hopefully I can show off babies like you are down the road:)

Yeeaahh buddy! Looks like a little male there :D They have grown a bit in the last few weeks!

Any luck sexing them or are you still ignoring that ;)

Back
Top Bottom