Suggestions from Actual Owners

Rubidius

I don't own any chameleons at all at the moment, but I've been saving up to get one, and have done A LOT of research.

What I Think I Know:
These are generally not hands-on pets unless you raise them from a very young age, and even then they can end up being grumpy little dudes. They require a moist environment due to the fact that they get their water by licking leaves (and probably everything else in the cage. My leos do that), but over-moisturising and lack of consistent cleaning can result in excess and unwanted bacteria that can sicken or even kill your cham. They need variety in their diet and can eat crickets, mealies, dubia roaches, and certain foliage/vegetation (ficus, hibiscus, and certain greens).
They are diurnal, and require UVB/UVA lights as well as a heat lamp in order to process their calcium supplements.
When aggitated, veileds will puff up and hiss. They may even bite if further provoked. I'm pretty sure the other species can do similarly (puff up, hiss), but I'm not sure.
When the tank is too hot (which, if you use a flexarium/screen cage, theoretically shouldn't happen because of the airflow), your cham will sit with its mouth open, not in an aggressive manner, which indicates you ought to turn the heat lamp off for a bit.
Make sure you have plenty of things for the precious beb to climb on and hide in, and your flooring should consist of a substrate that's good at holding in moisture. This substrate should be replaced on a regular basis so as to prevent mold growth.

Another thing I've read is that chams are actually quite intelligent as far as reptiles go, and that they can remember faces.

When selecting a chameleon there are certain things to look for and certain things to look out for.
First off, if the animal is not active and it's broad daylight, this could indicate illness. So can dark colorations, which can be a clear sign of high stress. Animals with bowlegs, bizarre features (such as dislocated jaws and sunken eyes) as well as an overall off (nonexistant) behavior can indicate MBD, caused by a lack of calcium in the animal's diet. You want an animal that reacts to your presence, is alert, brightly colored (in a baby's case, green), constantly looking around (I love this about chams; they always look so frumpy and suspicious x3), and will eat.

I think that's all?

There's probably more, but you're all probably asleep or tallying my n00b errs.

As you may have picked up a little above, I own leopard geckos. Two, to be exact, Sam and Zelyx, and I have had experience with cresties as well. My perosnal cresty experience was extremely tragic though due to the fact I bought him at a large chain pet store (a major mistake on my part t _ t), and he had an internal illness that I didn't catch onto until too late. Ever since that, I live for my animals, and am absolutely terrified of taking care of them wrong or doing something wrong for fear that they'll die on me prematurely like Tiger did.

In conclusion, I figured I'd just run everything by the actually experienced owners of these beauts, and see if ya'll can give me some tips and advice when it comes to trying to tame chams, care for them, giving them as stress free a life as possible, etc.

When selecting a chameleon there are certain things to look for and certain things to look out for.
First off, if the animal is not active and it's broad daylight, this could indicate illness. So can dark colorations, which can be a clear sign of high stress.

Chameleons aren't very active to begin with and can sit in place for hours especially when basking. Chams darken when basking also so you can't always go off of this. You have to know its background.

Glad you are doing your research first. I have a Leo also and they are quite easy to care for in comparison to a chameleon. I am not sure where you got all your info from, but almost all caresheets and websites on care will tell you not to have any substrate. Chameleons can eat it, so you especially have to be careful. Best is to leave the cage floor bare. You will be misting the cage and maybe running a dripper also, but you really do not want the cage to get too moist as it can breed mold which can cause your chameleon to get sick with respiratory problems. It is fine to get the cage wet so they can drink, but then you want it to dry out and not stay wet all the time. MBD or what you are describing as the bowed legs and such is also caused by no UVB. Chameleons must have UVB to process the calcium they are being given. If you go into our Chameleon Resources on the home page it will give you all the info you will need on caresheets and general info on these fascinating creatures. Also, most people associate a chameleon's bright colors with being happy. It can be very much on the contrary as they will display bright colors when threatened or scared. They will do so when mating also.

Hi Welcome to the forums :)
It sounds like you really did do you research! It's always great to hear that someone has done their research and has everything all set up before getting their Cham.
Regarding substrate, you're better off not using anything..although it may look pretty..it's difficult to keep clean and over time it makes a great breeding ground for bacteria...and some chameleons like to eat it which may cause impaction.
Also make sure you have a dripper set up so your Cham can drink when it needs to...it's important that you keep your Cham hydrated because dehydration can cause a lot of health issues.
Make sure to provide the correct lighting. Most people use a fluorescent tube style 5.0 UVB bulb. And for a basking bulb you can use a regular incandescent bulb...usually around 60-75 Watts depending on the temperature of your basking spot which should be around 85 degrees for a baby veiled.
Also you need three different vitamins to dust the feeders with.
1) Calcium without D3 to dust your feeders with every day. 2) Calcium With D3 to dust feeders with two times a month. 4) A multivitamin to dust feeders with two times a month.
It's also very important to gut load your Chams feeders because what you feed your feeders is what goes into your Cham which is vital to their nutrition and health. Make sure your feeders are getting leafy greens such as kale, mustard greens, chard, apples carrots etc. (don't use the cricket cubes they sell in the stores) there is tons of information on the forums about what to feed your feeders...soooo important!
And most of all just read, read and read some more...the forums have a wealth of information.
Best of luck with your new baby!!!
:)

Many thanks to you all!
I find it interesting that you shouldn't use any substrate at all. Would it be alright just to have papertowel at the bottom? That's all I use for my leos. Makes the bottom-of-the-cage cleaning process a bit easier.

Back
Top Bottom