Substrate Help Please!

Hakai

My order from NEHerp finally came! I need help with the order that the substrate stuff goes. Just want to confirm so I don't have to redo it. Refer to the second pic. Is it (from bottom to top) drain rocks, mesh, ABG mix, leaf litter?!? Do I need anything else as far as substrate goes?!? Gettin' pymys.

Attachments

• IMG_20140311_181548315.jpg
    IMG_20140311_181548315.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 193
  • substrate.jpg
    substrate.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 198
thank heavens for "google". bearded pygmies are very incredible. i'm sorry my experience is non-existent w/ pygmies. i"m now going to sit back and learn.

thank heavens for "google". bearded pygmies are very incredible. i'm sorry my experience is non-existent w/ pygmies. i"m now going to sit back and learn.

Lol, its ok. This is the pygmy enclosure section of the forums after all. I can't w8 to start settin this tank up, but this is the first step, so I'm kinda w8in on replies...

i have a habit of clicking on the "home" page and seeing what actively going on w/ everyone.

I too get alot of excitement on setting up my enclosures. I understand the fun you are having. Are you planning on doing some fun live plants in there also?

i have a habit of clicking on the "home" page and seeing what actively going on w/ everyone.

I too get alot of excitement on setting up my enclosures. I understand the fun you are having. Are you planning on doing some fun live plants in there also?

It wasn't my initial intention, but after further research I came to the realization that it was for the best. So I'll be adding at least a pothos, and maybe some moss. Maybe some ferns or something. And yeah, setting up enclosures is always so fun, creating a little ecosystem inside your home.

Yes you do the clay rocks, then weed block mesh, then soil then leaf litter. One tip: put a tube or something that goes all the way to the bottom (under rocks) so that you can pull out excess water if needed. You may not water enough for it to build up at the bottom but I did w frogs and would suck the excess water out w a 50 ml syringe the fit in the tubing that I had put in a corner.

Yes you do the clay rocks, then weed block mesh, then soil then leaf litter. One tip: put a tube or something that goes all the way to the bottom (under rocks) so that you can pull out excess water if needed. You may not water enough for it to build up at the bottom but I did w frogs and would suck the excess water out w a 50 ml syringe the fit in the tubing that I had put in a corner.

Awesome thanks! Yeah I was planning on getting some sort of syphon system going on. Thanks for your help! Time to get started!

You're welcome. :) Can't wait to see your setup. I have a setup for pygmies, too, just waiting on getting some CB.

You're welcome. :) Can't wait to see your setup. I have a setup for pygmies, too, just waiting on getting some CB.

Awesome! Have any ideas on where your buying them from? I'm still lookin around. I'm lookin to eventually have 1.2 and I wanna make sure the male isn't related as breeding is a future possibility.

I'm on a waiting list for cb pymies from kdc5019. It'll depend on how many of what sex and how many people are on the list, as to what I end up with. :) Eventually I'd like one male and two females, but I don't them to be related or wild caught, so I have to be patient. :D

I'm on a waiting list for cb pymies from kdc5019. It'll depend on how many of what sex and how many people are on the list, as to what I end up with. :) Eventually I'd like one male and two females, but I don't them to be related or wild caught, so I have to be patient. :D

Lol, looks like I've got some competition. I'm on that list too, and those are my exact specifications. Good luck to the both of us!

We'll both get there. :) In the meantime, it'll give the springtails and isopods a chance to get their numbers up.

We'll both get there. :) In the meantime, it'll give the springtails and isopods a chance to get their numbers up.

Yeah, it gives us time to make sure our enclosures are perfect to ensure happy champers. :p hope that wasn't too lame....

Back
Top Bottom