Strongyle & Coccidia Parasite Treatment

Okay Thanks for letting me know! :) and sorry about Miss Lily.. :(

I thought the name Ivermection rang an alarm bell in my head. I just checked back over the thread about Lily when she was poorly, and it was the drug that I am pretty sure contributed to Lily's death. Please avoid using Ivermectin - Lily was given this under the name of Panomec. The vet assured me it was safe for everything 'from an elephant to a chameleon'. However, she made a massive turn for the worse after it was administered, and died a few hours later. Please do not allow your vet to use Ivermectin on any of your chameleons.

That was almost a year ago. I can't believe she has been gone that long. I just wanted to share my story - if Lily's death helps to save another chameleon it will make me happy.

Brad:

Thanks for letting me know! All the hard work for nothing would have sucked! :)

Kayla

I don't think bleach will kill any coccidia oocysts in the enclosure.
30 volume developer is something I never thought of but it makes sense that it works.
I think Ammonia has worked as well.

-Brad

Dodolah:

OKay yeah, I have all the doses calculated for each Ponazuril & Panacur :) Thanks for the heads up! It is VERRRY easy to mix up the doses! Ehh that would be bad!

I don't have this at the top of my head. It's been a while since I have the need to treat mine with Ponazuril.. Dave Weldon should know more about it..
just remember to be careful with the dosing. 0.02 and 0.2 cc is quite a huge different. the 0.02 cc is two of those thinnest mark in the tuberculine type of syringe. I know that you probably won't make that mistake.. But, I always warn everyone nonetheless.

and, yes.. Brad is correct. Bleach is not effective against coccidia when they are in dormant stage (oocyst).
I used a hot steamer and blast the surface with it.
I have not used ammonia.. and will probably try it later since my steam cleaner is broke.

Yeah Poor Lilly.. :( Its hard to find good info. on chams, Slowly but surly its getting alot better!

:)

That was almost a year ago. I can't believe she has been gone that long. I just wanted to share my story - if Lily's death helps to save another chameleon it will make me happy.

Weird Question

OKay So0o...I got to thinking can the Cocc. from my cham be transfered over to my kittys!? I read that they can get a different type of cicc. called Toxoplasma...not sure if there the same thing?? I'm thinking not..I'm going crazy with all this stuff..AHH! Any advice would be awesome! :)

The Sooner The Better! :eek:

Kayla...

OKay So0o...I got to thinking can the Cocc. from my cham be transfered over to my kittys!? I read that they can get a different type of cicc. called Toxoplasma...not sure if there the same thing?? I'm thinking not..I'm going crazy with all this stuff..AHH! Any advice would be awesome! :)

The Sooner The Better! :eek:

Kayla...

highly unlikely..
Coccidia is host specific. There is one for mammal and there is one for reptile.
but, it doesn't hurt to practice cleanliness nonetheless.. Quarantine your chameleon so he does not infect the other reptiles.

Back
Top Bottom