Stop shedding problems! (Shedding, the menace that causes many other problems?)

Shedding is unavoidable for Chameleons! They have to do it and do so frequently! The faster they grow, the more frequently they shed! The more they struggle shedding, the more likely they are to end up with issues after shedding!

Goals for this discussion:
1) Is growing faster beneficial in aiding shedding, or does it make shedding harder when they grow rapidly and shed in rapid succession?
2) What are the nutritional needs for successful shedding by having optimally healthy skin before the time comes to shed?
3) Are there environmental factors that aid in shedding or others that can make it harder for our chameleons to happily pass through the irritating challenge of shedding!
4) Do you have any nuggets of wisdom that you want to share with us that does not fit ether of the previous categories of this thread, please share them!

I want to invite all of our members who are Veterans, chameleon breeders and other "old timers" when it comes to chameleon keeping to join in and help the rest of us help our precious chameleons through their "meances" - THE SHED!!!!

From the bottom of my heart: "I Thank you all in advance!!!!!"
Matt

I have noticed regular long warm showers or at least ten minute mistings with preferably warm water can help relieve itching for chameleons and also help loosen skin. I have a feeling there would be certain types of foods you could feed the feeder during the shedding time, something with higher omega 3 oils like more chia, sesame, and flax seeds... honestly not sure on this one though. I am not sure how chameleon skin is affected by there feeders.

Being well hydrated definitely plays a positive role in shedding! As for nutrients, they would most likely have to be fed to the chameleon long before they shed in order to help the shedding by having a healthy new layer of skin prepared for when they get rid of the old! So, I believe chameleons should always have a optimal diet! Thanks so much for your input!!!

I very frequently see people posting things like this: "his eye problem started when he shed" or "ever since he shed he has been keeping one eye shut most of the time" or "my chameleon has been rubbing his one eye against branches ever since he shed". The list goes on and on! So, how can we prevent this from happening? I have some info I will share later, but I first hope to hear from you guys! I hope for some input from you guys who have experienced this and who have had success in getting your chameleon over the hump!

Much appreciated
Matt

"Vitamin A Deficiency
A vitamin A deficiency can cause teary and crusty eyes, respiratory problems, shedding problems, and lethargy. Providing your pet with multivitamin supplements and gut-loading his insects with nutritious food can help prevent a deficiency." A quote from chameleoncare.net

I find out there's a hard shed a soft shed. I tend to keep the moisture down a lot more if they have a hard head meaning doesn't start from the feet up. When you have the head is starting to shed seems like there's a lot more problems in the eyes that's just my observation with all mine. When they're having a bad shed I lay off the food a little bit and they don't really want to eat that much anyways hope this helps

Why do you keep the moisture down if it starts with the head? How does it help? Not refuting it just wondering if it would actually help? Ryker tends to have more sheds that start with his head.

I have 7 males Panthers it when it starts at the feet first seems to be a lot easier . and when starts at the head seems to be a lot longer of a shed for me. So I started messing around with the moisture levels and the spraying. And instead of over a week and a half shed cut it down 2/7 days. I just had a bad one with Skittles. Just this week and I just find out when it starts hitting the eyes last you end up with problems with them I've lost two because of that. I also live in a climate where might not be the same as yours I tried to keep my temperature the same all the time. Sometimes it's just hard to keep up with. Also when they get older in age they seem to take a lot longer for a shed. And please just remember this is just my opinion I'm not saying I am right at all I'm sure someone else will have a lot more info that's why I love this website.(y):)

Why do you keep the moisture down if it starts with the head? How does it help? Not refuting it just wondering if it would actually help? Ryker tends to have more sheds that start with his head.
Skittles just took me about 8 days for a complete shed starting at his head.

Where are you located if I can ask? And what is you humidity for your chameleons usually? I live in Central Cali so it can be humid or dry depending on the day. Ryker has sheds that are especially hard because he has several burn scars from synthetic lighting that wasn't correct. It's been a roller coaster trying to find correct temps, measurements away from the light, and lights in themselves to keep him safe from burning. The scars, though they heal remarkably every time they shed, cause severe problems with shedding.

I live in Massachusetts so right now no humidity. Try to keep the same wattage of bulb all year round. So I try to get my radiant temperature at 73 during the day, and don't let it drop below 65 at night. All mine are in the basement. During the winter little room heater humidifier .humidity is usually always about 50 to 70. Summer months the humidity gets up more(y)

Back
Top Bottom