Something stuck in my chameleon

Here's another picture showing the front legs.

I tried calling Best Friends Animal Hospital and they said a vet isn't available to talk to because he's in surgery and I should take him to an emergency vet.

Sorry I'm not really sure what I can do at this point and I feel really bad. I thought I was taking really good care of him. I got him a nice enclosure with lots of climby things, I have a nice heat lamp that gives him the right kinds of light and heat for his basking spot, I even got that mist king system so that the humidity is always correct.

I wish I could afford to take him to an emergency vet and have it surgically fixed but I have 3 (human) kids and bills to pay and spending that kind of money right now is impossible.

Here's another picture showing the front legs.

I tried calling Best Friends Animal Hospital and they said a vet isn't available to talk to because he's in surgery and I should take him to an emergency vet.

Sorry I'm not really sure what I can do at this point and I feel really bad. I thought I was taking really good care of him. I got him a nice enclosure with lots of climby things, I have a nice heat lamp that gives him the right kinds of light and heat for his basking spot, I even got that mist king system so that the humidity is always correct.

I wish I could afford to take him to an emergency vet and have it surgically fixed but I have 3 (human) kids and bills to pay and spending that kind of money right now is impossible.

call them back and ask for an apt for tomorrow! as I said, if they are full you can take my already scheduled appt.

do you have a uvb bulb?
do you use supplement powders?

He has the recommended UV bulb and basking bulb. I haven't given any supplemental powders.

that's probably why he has MBD then.

just the uvb bulb and some crickets here and there, and im betting you havnet gutloaded the bugs either, aren't enough to keep chams healthy.

Do not let him suffer

Seriously, I/we understand that finances are hard to come by, and I am sorry if I made you feel bad with my earlier comment, please though, think "Payment Plan".

You owe it to the creature to at least have him checked, as soon as is possible.

Also if he is still feeding, follow advice.

Best Friends referred me to an emergency vet Pender Veterinary Center. They're saying to fix it surgically would be at least $1,000. They said the only alternative would be euthanasia

Best Friends referred me to an emergency vet Pender Veterinary Center. They're saying to fix it surgically would be at least $1,000. They said the only alternative would be euthanasia

they wont let you make an appt?

at this point, 12 hours isn't going to make or break this situation.

some vets do payment plans, or care credit.

unfortunately, euthanasia is a cheaper "correction".

Do this perhaps

Call best friends animal hospital in Gaithersburg md.

Dr Hoffman is fantastic. I take all my chammies to her. she just did a surgery for me to remove one o fmy chameleons tongues.

shes in surgery today, but you can try for an apt for tomorrow.

I actually have my own apt scheduled tomorrow, if they are full, PM me, and you can take my slot.

Message camimom......

So call them first thing tomorrow having msg'd camimom :)

Pender is a 24-hour emergency vet so I don't need an appointment. The problem is that I don't have $1,000 regardless of whether it's on a payment plan or care credit. I wish I could go back in time and take him to the vet as soon as I noticed it last week but I didn't know what it was.

Pender is a 24-hour emergency vet so I don't need an appointment. The problem is that I don't have $1,000 regardless of whether it's on a payment plan or care credit. I wish I could go back in time and take him to the vet as soon as I noticed it last week but I didn't know what it was.

look..

im doing everything I can to help you.

my vet is good.

make. an. appt. an emergency vet will charge you more than double just to see him, than my vet will. and if you cannot afford the surgery through my vet either, then you cn have a cheaper euthanasia.

Reality Bites

We are trying to advise you, understand you can not afford which is why I keep on saying payment plan, alternatives are..

Long agonizing death, or euthanasia.

If you go for long agonizing death then that is cruelty.

I heavily recommend either contacting Cammom's vet first thing tomorrow, no free slot then Cam' has said you can have her slot....

Then deciding with the Vet which of the above options is most practical.

Reality I am afraid has a lot of sharp points and abrasive edges I chose not to shield others from it.:eek:

Gez man.... another what 12-24 hours.....

If your going to go down that route, at least take it to Cam's vet.... it will be cheaper at least....

Whilst no one here likes the thought of him suffering for to much longer that 12/24 hours could mean the difference of quite a few green backs.

Also I am kind of hoping that Cam's vet may find another solution...

Yes the reality is harsh, and we can not escape the facts here, however I have a strange feeling that Cams Vet will be the very best person to carry out the procedure, because Cam has experience using this service....

Wow, i understand that everyone here loves animals and deserve respect, but stop pressuring him, his only route is euthanasia, if it cost me 1000 dlls to save my chameleon i would go that route too, sorry to hear what happened to your cham, and since i am new i would have made the same mistake

Sana

I didn't really feel like anyone was pressuring me to get the expensive surgery, I think there was just an urgency to act and get him to the vet. It's really nice that I was able to get good advice so quickly.

Frankly I'm shocked at how much the vets want to do the surgery. That price is just unbelievable. I have two dogs and I think $1,000 is more than I've paid for every emergency trip to the vet combined. They seem to charge a 10x premium because they know that there are hardly any exotic-animal vets in the area and they can charge whatever they want.

I did not want to say end it

Yes, I was trying to pressure you into doing something, as anything was better than nothing, and yes, I was not very nice about it perhaps.

And ultimately I am sorry, sorry I could do nothing other than give advice, sorry that I could not gift you the money (not that you where asking).

I am glad that you did the right thing, however wrong that right thing is it was the most humane, and for that I salute you o7

Hello,

Im sorry to read about what your going through and the decision you have to make in this case.

Not that you need to be lectured or anything but the best way to avoid these situations is to do lots of research. You are here on the forums which is great and can see many people are willing and able to give advice. Your chameleon had more than one issue and I can't say it was all you but we all should be fully prepared when getting into keeping a living creature. Proper enclosure, plant scape, lighting, heating, lighting, a diverse variety of food items, gut loading, supplements, etc... Some knowledge about possible health issues not only if it happens but when you choose an animal. Although this is on your thread its more general. Everyone getting into a hobby like this should be prepared for the animals sake and your investment(mental and economic). Good luck in the future.

Back
Top Bottom