Some of my other Herps

Chris Anderson

Dr. House of Chameleons
I thought I'd post a few photos of some of the non-chameleon herps I'm working with.

Gonocephalus doriae (Doria's Angleheaded Lizard):
3376878209_5b0668e8d6_o.jpg

Carettochelys insculpta (Fly River Turtle):
3377538126_9293e26ca0_o.jpg

Chelus fimbriatus (Matamata Turtle):
3377543330_dc9833822f_o.jpg

Geoclemys hamiltonii (Indian Spotted Pond Turtle):
3579505389_5d534d4bb0_o.jpg

Morelia boeleni (Boelen's Python):
3601864274_1e6f482cc4_o.jpg

Enjoy!

Chris

Those fly river turtles are so cool. I heard they are no longer allowed to be imported/exported, how long have you had it?

Thanks Jann! They are all incredible animals.

Those fly river turtles are so cool. I heard they are no longer allowed to be imported/exported, how long have you had it?

Yeah, the fly rivers are pretty cool. They aren't allowed to be taken out of New Guinea any longer and have become pretty uncommon since then. I've had her for quite a while and I got her from a friend who had her for a few years before that.

Chris

I have to say the fly river is my favorite as well. However you can pretty much make anything look cool with your great photos. :)

They're juvies still. I have one in a 150 gallon (570 Liter) tank with Boeseman's Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani) and another in a tank with Goyder River Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia trifasciata).

Chris

Enjoy is right!

Enjoy is right! My gosh what beautiful specimans....I always have to clean the drool off my keyboard after seeing your pictures.....Slober...Slober....

Thanks Catherine!

I thought I'd post a couple pics of another of my other herps. One of the lesser known types of reptiles are Amphisbaenians (often called worm lizards). They are a borrowing reptile that are rarely seen and generally poorly known. Almost a year and a half ago, I got a Tanzanian Amphisbaenian species, Geocalamus acutus. I essentially never see the thing but today I was moving it from a 15 gallon tall tank of sand to a 20 gallon tank of sand so I took the opportunity to take some pics. This individual is 11 inches long.

3627514622_dea0989a53_o.jpg

3627514440_ae708fb212_o.jpg

3626699539_a59ea95b18_o.jpg

Enjoy,

Chris

Awesome pictures Chris, When I was overseas in Cairo as a kid I picked up a worm or what I thought was a worm from some leaf litter. I realized it was not a worm when it kept trying to bite me ha-ha. It looked almost exactly like this-I looked at it for a moment and let it go where I found it. Good stuff.

Yikes!

Yikes that is strange looking. Are the eyes functional? They look like the eyes of an embryo. Do you have a pair or just one? Is it nocternal? I would imagine that it must have to surface to eat. Tanzania sure has some interesting things......

They definitely aren't for everyone and they are strange.

Thanks for the video. It showed two of the South American species, Amphisbaena alba and Amphisbaena fuliginosa. Those are both species I'd love to work with as well.

Yikes that is strange looking. Are the eyes functional? They look like the eyes of an embryo. Do you have a pair or just one? Is it nocternal? I would imagine that it must have to surface to eat. Tanzania sure has some interesting things......

The eyes on this guy are covered by a scale so they are fairly vestigial. I imagine they can see some light but probably not much more. This animal eats crickets with their back legs pinched off. It comes to the surface to get them but I rarely see more then its head. Amphisbaenians actually live all over the world.

Chris

Hey Chris - Can I spend my vacation at your house - I think it would be wonderful to see all your critters and creatures!!

Nice collection
Is the Fly Turtle the same as a Hog-nosed Turtle? I was just watching a documentary on them, and it looks the same to me. Do you have a male? or any chance of borrowing one?

Oops, missed these posts somehow.

Hey Chris - Can I spend my vacation at your house - I think it would be wonderful to see all your critters and creatures!!

As long as you take care of them all while you're here, I'm all for it.

Nice collection
Is the Fly Turtle the same as a Hog-nosed Turtle? I was just watching a documentary on them, and it looks the same to me. Do you have a male? or any chance of borrowing one?

Yes, they are also called pig-nosed turtles. I have two but I won't be able to sex them until they are quite a bit older.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom