Snake probing question?

pssh

Avid Member
So I couldnt figure out which of my egg eating snakes was male and which was female (I had them marked, but they shed on the same day!) So anyways, I learned how to probe them and ordered a some probes. I figured out who was who very easily and set up a divider to separate them.

Anyways, when I was probing the male, some white-ish goop came out. It was similar in consistency to fresh chameleon sperm plugs and looked the same but less formed (probably because it was fresh?) Was this indeed a sperm plug? Or was it something else? It grossed me out so I forgot to take a picture, sorry. Also, if it was indeed a sperm plug, does that mean the male is old enough to breed? (So I can buy an adult female for him to breed with since mine is still too small.) They are wild caught so I dont know their ages.

Thanks for any insight you guys can give!

Sperm plugs are a little more yellowish than white. It has the consistance of cottage cheese. The white stuff could be urine as well.
Generally speaking, if they are producing sperm plugs, they should be mature enough to breed.

It definitely was not musk (I've never read about egg eating snakes musking, but who knows!) I don't know if you meant urate or urine, but it for sure was not a urate (and unless the liquid urine products are a milky off-white ish color, I don't think it was urine either.)

Whatever I managed to get out was like this photo, but since it was goopy and I was pulling the probe out, it didn't come out in a nice pile. It looked very similar to freshly deposited chameleon sperm plugs on a branch when they are still wet, but not quite as well formed (like it was too mushy to maintain the shape/form of the usual "U" shape.)

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/101484murdoc_goo_02sm-med.jpg

I was looking around on the net, and some snake keepers kept mentioning how snake sperm plugs, aren't actually sperm plugs but old skin? Any of you guys ever heard that?

Back
Top Bottom