Small Shedding Problem - please help

nekrosoft13

My chameleon has a small shedding problem. to be excact on the tip of the tail.

how can i help?

picture quality is not the best, hard to take a picture.

img2388fk6.jpg

How long ago did your chameleon shed? What kind of humidity levels are you providing?

One of my chameleons has had trouble shedding at the tip of her tail since before I even got her and it happens EVERY shed. Ultimately I have to help peel the skin off because it constricts her tail and she can't control her tail much past the point where the shed trouble begins. I don't think her humidity has ever gone below 60% and she's gratuitously misted daily, so I've never figured out why that happens. So I would recommend taking care of that sooner rather than later, though it looks like it may already be too late.

This is kind of off chami topic, but my snake, when it was young, had the same problem. I didn't remove the shed but waited until the next shed. By that time the tip was black. I tried to remove it then, but the tip, about 3/8ths of the tail, came off. The snake is now about 24 inches and you wouldn't know anything ever happened.

Perhaps this is what would happen with chameleons, I don't know - just speculation. But I sure wouldn't wait to find out. I would remove it.

humidity is about 60-70

this is about little over 2 weeks old, from the last shed.

I also had a snake before, and had a same situation, someone told me to use vegetable oil and soak the tail in it. After about 3-4 times i was able to take it off. Is it ok to try something like that on a Chameleon?

I would try a shower and see if that loosens it up enough to fall off/pick off. Is it just me or does the tip look like it might have gotten gnawed by a cage-mate, that could be the source of the difficulties.

when my chameleons shed i tend not to spray them, and notice that the skin comes of faster and easier, and i make sure that there is somethink that they can rub up against that is rough. i have a jungle vine that is quite rough, and they tend to wrap there tails round it when they walk about during there shed and it pulls off the dead skin.

When the shed was dry it was very difficult for me to remove. What I did was fill the sink a little with water and just put her tail in the water and it came off pretty easy from there.

Back
Top Bottom