silkworms vs crickets

Desurfer

Do you think silkworm pods are cheaper than getting a silkworm kits? I am also thinking about making silkworms his staple diet with and mix in other insects. Any input??

the cheapest thing, if your feeding one cham, is buying 100 small silkworms, they grow fast, silkworms can be used as a staple but you also need to include superworms for chitin, and a variety of other insects to keep him interested. not sure what silkworm kit your referring to.

Silks are my staple feeder. I mix in crickets, supers and horns.
I buy the silks small, 100 at $7, and raise them on the powder that Mullberry farms sells. The powder runs around $10 and last the 100 small silks until they are all gone or have cocooned.
This lasts my full grown male panther around 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I purchased a pod of 50 small from coastel silkworms and was thinking about getting the kit they sell to make them last longer. The pod was easy but was wondering if I buy them in bigger bulk it would be cheaper. How many silkworms a day and which variety of silkworms? My chameleon is about nine months old. Here is the site.....http://www.coastalsilkworms.com/store/

... I am also thinking about making silkworms his staple diet with and mix in other insects. Any input??

I suggest not having a staple, but rather striving to offer a wide variety. However, Silkworms are great. I would be happy to have as much as a third of my chameleons diet be silkworms, and I wouldnt say that about many other feeders as I prefer no one bug make up more than 25%.

Silks don't make a good staple... The cham will need more 'roughage' to help clean up the belly... If a cham eats silks only the poop is real runny, not good.

Think of it like this... You don't eat lettace for every meal do you? no... there is the food triangle the doctor tells us we need to pay attention to. The same goes for your cham. You need to mix things up. Silks one day, then crickets another, maybe silks again and then some super worms... maybe a butter worm here and there....

The best part about having a bunch of chams instead of one... is that keeping multiple types of bugs around is easier because you have more mouths to feed so spending the money is worth it because there is no loss of bugs. If you have one cham or even two, keeping a good mix of bugs and then watching the bugs die because the cham isn't interested in that bug for a week or two makes it hard to justify the money being spent on bugs.

Back
Top Bottom