Silkworm HELP

boj3434

I am trying to breed some of the silkworms I had and I just ran out of chow. A few have just spun their cocoons but alot look like they need a few more days. Is there any ideas to keep them going. I either need something else that would work as food and still let them cocoon or some way to get chow or leaves fast. Thanks

Will these still allow them to cocoon correctly????

They will also eat beet leaves. I forgot to add that if you use carrot make sure its sliced/shaved very thinly. If its only for a few days you should be good.

Another idea is to ring around and see if any nurseries in your area have Mulberry trees in stock and just purchase one as a back up. The nursery down the road on a few ocassions has let me pick a few leaves of their stock but that is only because I have a good relationship with them and I am in there every week buying stuff.....but it never hurts to ask.

About the nursery thing do any keep small trees inside because here in kansas it hasnt been above freezing really for awhile now and all the leaves are gone. I checked the bug zoo to see if they raise any and if i could either have jsut a little or i would just buy some from them but they didnt have any. Unless some nuserys keep small mulberrys inside i think i am out of luck with the leaves.

If you have no luck with the nurseries then do the carrot, dandelion or beet leaves and you will be ok if its only a few days.

Well i know at least one or two have already just started today so im guessing the others are soon to follow but i ran out yesterday so I think ill have to run to the store tomorrow. Can you buy dandelion greens at regular grocery stores.

Well i know at least one or two have already just started today so im guessing the others are soon to follow but i ran out yesterday so I think ill have to run to the store tomorrow. Can you buy dandelion greens at regular grocery stores.

Thats a good question!

Do you have a Wholefoods near you? Thats where I get mine from and its organic. Here in California we are blessed with good weather and many organic farmers markets and its in plentiful supply. Many grocery stores do carry them though....good luck on your search :)

I have used grated carrots in the past but when I had to use them for more than 4-5 days there seemed to be a decrease in the amount of moths that actually made it out of the cocoon without dyeing. I lost at least 25% of the moths both times as opposed to 1 or 2 out of fifty moths not emerging. Idk if that happens with other people but it happened with me. Also there has been up to a 2 week difference in the cocoon date of a single group of silkworms all hatched a the same time for me. It's never many that cocoon very late but there are always a few for me.

Well ill try it out thats still better than no more of them cocooning. Im going to go get some carrots and dandilion green when the store opens.

Back
Top Bottom