silkworm and hornworm eggs

Pygmy chameleon

Established Member
i was planning on ordering hornworm and silkworm eggs but thought id ask you guys first are these hard to hatch? do they need specific temperatures etc?

I order silk eggs and they are very simple to hatch. The trick is that once they hatch you need to keep them clean so they don't die off. You can get them mailed to you and they should hatch in a week or so and they grow pretty fast.

I order silk eggs and they are very simple to hatch. The trick is that once they hatch you need to keep them clean so they don't die off. You can get them mailed to you and they should hatch in a week or so and they grow pretty fast.
Great! thanks for the info!

I've ordered 100 silkworm eggs too... Was wondering if I still had to put them in the fridge, but I guess this answers my question too.:)

I hope I can breed silkworms... It's a lot of work from what I read but it's super healthy for my cham.

You can order the eggs with cold packs to delay hatching if you want. When left at room temp the eggs will turn light in color and hatch. Then simply use a food grater to feed them some silkie chow. It's easy to do, but will take some effort to get your own eggs.

I've found a caresheet, it didn't look to difficult, just need to give them daily care.
It could be a good business to breed and sell them since I've only come across 1 store that sells them here while it's a great feeder.

I found them to be ALOT of work, not hard work, but time consuming. Now, if you could just hatch a set amount each time it would be better (for me). I ordered 1000 eggs, and because the shipper didn't put a cold pack in, I didn't want to chance putting some back in the fridge. I feel that 100 at a time would have been better for me.

I found them to be ALOT of work, not hard work, but time consuming. Now, if you could just hatch a set amount each time it would be better (for me). I ordered 1000 eggs, and because the shipper didn't put a cold pack in, I didn't want to chance putting some back in the fridge. I feel that 100 at a time would have been better for me.

I would agree with this! I order 500 at a time and it is a lot of work, but not hard to do.

I agree with this as well, though my baby boa rack served as an amazing incubator for the eggs and maintains a perfect temp to grow them up fast. Sadly my chameleons now find them too boring though they get a large variety of insects. Currently their favorite are dubias and butter worms.

I agree with this as well, though my baby boa rack served as an amazing incubator for the eggs and maintains a perfect temp to grow them up fast. Sadly my chameleons now find them too boring though they get a large variety of insects. Currently their favorite are dubias and butter worms.

lol... I used to breed Ball's.... my hatchling rack would have been useful for bugs as well!!

Back
Top Bottom