She's Here!

KylieT

This is my new cham!!

This is the enclosure.
1000604hk.jpg

This is us on the way home.
1000606v.jpg

This is us mad about being in a box,(she bit me later for good measure).
1000607m.jpg

This is us enjoying the misting and the light.
1000617d.jpg

congrats

congrats , little stunner , hope you get her settled in quickly ,and start to enjoy there lovely colours, congrats on your first bite ,

She looks just a tad unhappy.:rolleyes: But by tomorrow she will be happier. I would add some horizontal branches. Even if they are just dowel rods from home depot it will help give her more highways. Do you have a name for the pretty lady?

haha love the seat belt, safety goes first! and congrats, lovely girl :)

Lol thanks, I had her in the car and got that "oh crap what if we were to get in an accident" thought. It was the only way :)

Congrats she looks like she has a little attitude to her haha
She does, she's not as skiddish as Geordi is which is good. She just looks at us like please leave you're interrupting me time.

A glove, a bag of crickets, and a seat-belt... you were ready for anything! :) Very nice markings on her!
Lol the crickets were to supplement my colony and the females in it laid as soon as they got here (praise Jesus! it's about time!) the glove is cause it's cold here!!! lol it was for the moment for her but it belongs to the winter car survival stuff that we montanans have to have. Laurie knows all about having a snow shovel in the back of her car. Right Laurie? :p :D

She looks just a tad unhappy.:rolleyes: But by tomorrow she will be happier. I would add some horizontal branches. Even if they are just dowel rods from home depot it will help give her more highways. Do you have a name for the pretty lady?
She's fiesty! she has a strooooong grip too! I was like damn girly! shes a little heavy and that makes me worry a bit, but hell I worry about these babies constantly. She was very angry to go in a box. She scratched at the inside the whole way home, (like .25 miles to my house). I did the best that I could with the branches I had to get her the transportation that she needs... when more funds roll in here soon I'm going to get some dowels for her and to help hold up one of the plants.

And as for a name, I've been throwing some stuff around but it seems most fitting that her name shall be Uhura. (Ah-her-ah) Also a startrek character to carry on my theme.

Uhura
http://www.sherylfranklin.com/images/trek/women/classic/uhura029.jpg

and Geordi
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/04/GeordiLaForge.jpg/250px-GeordiLaForge.jpg

And I forgot to say this!!!! Thanks everyone for your admirations and comments. I love how supportive and thoughtful everyone is here :)

Since everyone basically covered everything else, I thought I would say something about the plants...Excellent choices with the Schefflera and Dracena :) I will soon have larger sizes of both for my Veiled soon.

Since everyone basically covered everything else, I thought I would say something about the plants...Excellent choices with the Schefflera and Dracena :) I will soon have larger sizes of both for my Veiled soon.

Thank you! I printed out the safe plants list from FLChams site and took it with me to home depot lol. I have a ficus Benjamina and an orchid in my other cage. These are the little ones they had. I wanted bigger ones and then had to switch to little ones cause a plant isn't worth as much as they wanted.

Thank you! I printed out the safe plants list from FLChams site and took it with me to home depot lol. I have a ficus Benjamina and an orchid in my other cage. These are the little ones they had. I wanted bigger ones and then had to switch to little ones cause a plant isn't worth as much as they wanted.
Yeah I hear ya...Let me just say that I spent hours researching safe plants to get for my Veiled, and settled on a Schefflera arboricola. When I finally got to home depot to buy one, I was confused by seeing other Schefflera's with the name arboricola in them but they were different. Some had whites and yellows in the leaves, and others did not. I spent like an extra half hour on the internet on my phone in the home depot garden section looking up both plants, while constantly walking the approximate 50' back and forth from one Schefflera to the other. People in there must have thought I was a moron lol.

Yeah I hear ya...Let me just say that I spent hours researching safe plants to get for my Veiled, and settled on a Schefflera arboricola. When I finally got to home depot to buy one, I was confused by seeing other Schefflera's with the name arboricola in them but they were different. Some had whites and yellows in the leaves, and others did not. I spent like an extra half hour on the internet on my phone in the home depot garden section looking up both plants, while constantly walking the approximate 50' back and forth from one Schefflera to the other. People in there must have thought I was a moron lol.

Isn't the White on the leaves just called a variegation? I'm almost positive that they are the same plant its just that one is variegated and one is not. IDK I could be wrong though... I just noticed that It would work and liked how sturdy it was. There was another Dracena that I wanted that was huge and awesome but $40 on plants just seemed like a frivolous waste on something that will inevitably get bigger in time. I swear people are so pretentious these days, I would have looked at any one of the people staring at you and been like HEY, YOU WANNA HELP OR SOMETHING???

I would also just like to say that the more I talk about chameleons the more people are like do they make good pets? and I say absolutely not. I don't try to discourage people from owning them but the more and more I learn and become involved in it Idk if many other people could do it. That and they always precurse asking about them by saying they were thinking about getting one for (insert little boy of relation to them somehow) and I recommend an anole.

Isn't the White on the leaves just called a variegation? I'm almost positive that they are the same plant its just that one is variegated and one is not. IDK I could be wrong though... I just noticed that It would work and liked how sturdy it was. There was another Dracena that I wanted that was huge and awesome but $40 on plants just seemed like a frivolous waste on something that will inevitably get bigger in time. I swear people are so pretentious these days, I would have looked at any one of the people staring at you and been like HEY, YOU WANNA HELP OR SOMETHING???
Please read this as you will find it pretty informative-

https://www.chameleonforums.com/schefflera-trinette-79064/

And I hear ya about the bigger, more expensive Dracena. I'm glad to hear that it is only $40, not saying that as if I got money growing off of me and that it's not a lot of money to spend on a plant as it is, but I got a break in cash and sold an old fish tank setup for 180 bucks so I plan on getting one of those $40 Dracenas. And you know, I heard that they are very slow growing, so...And you could possibly trim them back some way(I know that the trunks will continue to grow but with the smaller branches that sprout out of the trunk you could cut the top off of it off, just above the lowest branch growing on there if it were to get too tall). I am going to build a 4' tall cage for my Veiled soon, and if the plant starts to get to tall that's what I plan to do, and if cutting it back, for whatever reason, doesn't work, then I may just remove the top of the cage and suspend the lights over it to allow the plant to grow as tall as it wants and to give him a kind of free range :p

I would also just like to say that the more I talk about chameleons the more people are like do they make good pets? and I say absolutely not. I don't try to discourage people from owning them but the more and more I learn and become involved in it Idk if many other people could do it. That and they always precurse asking about them by saying they were thinking about getting one for (insert little boy of relation to them somehow) and I recommend an anole.
I have the same feelings about this. They are such a delicate species that require a lot of time, patience, and care that most people do not have or can give.

I was given a little beardie by a family member when I was young, as I have always loved reptiles, for my birthday. Mind you I was a child and the animal was fully in my care. I'd kept wild caught corn snakes and the likes before but never something like a beardie. Poor thing died like a month or two later because of my lack of knowledge on how to take care of it. I was so distraught, and when I look back, wish it was never given to me in the first place.

Please read this as you will find it pretty informative-

https://www.chameleonforums.com/schefflera-trinette-79064/

And I hear ya about the bigger, more expensive Dracena. I'm glad to hear that it is only $40, not saying that as if I got money growing off of me and that it's not a lot of money to spend on a plant as it is, but I got a break in cash and sold an old fish tank setup for 180 bucks so I plan on getting one of those $40 Dracenas. And you know, I heard that they are very slow growing, so...And you could possibly trim them back some way(I know that the trunks will continue to grow but with the smaller branches that sprout out of the trunk you could cut the top off of it off, just above the lowest branch growing on there if it were to get too tall). I am going to build a 4' tall cage for my Veiled soon, and if the plant starts to get to tall that's what I plan to do, and if cutting it back, for whatever reason, doesn't work, then I may just remove the top of the cage and suspend the lights over it to allow the plant to grow as tall as it wants and to give him a kind of free range :p

I have the same feelings about this. They are such a delicate species that require a lot of time, patience, and care that most people do not have or can give.

I was given a little beardie by a family member when I was young, as I have always loved reptiles, for my birthday. Mind you I was a child and the animal was fully in my care. I'd kept wild caught corn snakes and the likes before but never something like a beardie. Poor thing died like a month or two later because of my lack of knowledge on how to take care of it. I was so distraught, and when I look back, wish it was never given to me in the first place.

I like the link, I'm also glad that it's a subspecies of the normal schefflera. I knew that it was a little different but I thought I could swing it. Home Depot didn't have it marked as anything but a plain old Shefflera. I would have liked the plant but I just didn't have the funds to make it work. I knew I needed 2 plants and the 2 I got already weren't cheap. Cool Idea about getting a big one though If it did grow tall enough to open the top I bet your cham would love that.

I'm sorry to hear that about your beardie. :C It happens though, I'd hate to see what becomes of some of these chams that I see in the petstores. Even if they did live for awhile it would be miserable. That's why I picked up this girl, one day I saw her trying to drink out of a bowl of water and I was so sad, She had a dripper that was low enough to not drip and I dripped the last bit on her and the leaves, she looked at me like "thank you." and it was love. :) I just don't see the joy people get out of impulse buying pets. I wanted a cham awhile before I got one and put a lot of effort into it. These people just go to the store and see a chameleon and want it. I couldn't let her go to a home like that.

I like the link, I'm also glad that it's a subspecies of the normal schefflera. I knew that it was a little different but I thought I could swing it. Home Depot didn't have it marked as anything but a plain old Shefflera. I would have liked the plant but I just didn't have the funds to make it work. I knew I needed 2 plants and the 2 I got already weren't cheap. Cool Idea about getting a big one though If it did grow tall enough to open the top I bet your cham would love that.

I'm sorry to hear that about your beardie. :C It happens though, I'd hate to see what becomes of some of these chams that I see in the petstores. Even if they did live for awhile it would be miserable. That's why I picked up this girl, one day I saw her trying to drink out of a bowl of water and I was so sad, She had a dripper that was low enough to not drip and I dripped the last bit on her and the leaves, she looked at me like "thank you." and it was love. :) I just don't see the joy people get out of impulse buying pets. I wanted a cham awhile before I got one and put a lot of effort into it. These people just go to the store and see a chameleon and want it. I couldn't let her go to a home like that.
Yeah I'm sure he'd love that too but I have mixed emotions, as he is quite the roamer, and would be affraid that if I kept my eye off him for too long that he would get into some trouble :p

Cute story about you and your girl :). I had actually never heard the story before.

Back
Top Bottom