Setup for a Jackon's Chameleon

JM24

Hi all, this is my first post on these forums and I was wondering if you guys could look over this set up for a Jackson's Chameleon and give me some advice/feedback and maybe answer a few questions if they come up.

Anyway this is what I'm thinking so far

Enclosure - Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage, Extra Large, 24 x 24 x 48-Inches http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Repti...ABI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337045327&sr=8-1

UVB - ReptiSun - 5.0 http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...7czoxOiIwIjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF95IjtzOjE6IjAiO30=

Heat - 'All Living Things' 150 Watt Ceramic Heat Emitter http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3876121

Watering/Rainfall - monsoon rs400 http://www.amazon.com/Terra-Monsoon...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1337045730&sr=1-1

Anyway, this is just a rough draft, but I was wondering if you guys see anything that I am missing or that I should reconsider?

Also, if anyone could help me with plants/vines etc for that size enclosure it would be GREATLY appreciated. I have the hardest time visualizing how to set up plants and vines for some reason.

1. Is the reptisun 5.0 enough or would you guys go with the 10.0? Money isn't the issue, I just don't want to have too strong a uvb in there.

2. I also just realized this is probably in the wrong forum, my apologies.

Hello! Welcome to Chameleon Forums!

We are glad that you have came here for help! :)

You are definitely in the right place. ;)

You likely wont need a heat emitter, unless the room the animals being kept in drops below 50F at night. If it does, then the HE is definitely the way to go.

I recommend a 2x2x4 screen cage for them, and the one you have linked will work. You may also want to look at DIYcages.com

The monsson does not get the best reviews, but I have never used one.
I have used MistKing, and can recommend their unit. Aquazamp makes a similar unit, that gets great reviews as well, but I myself have never used it.

Here are some links that I consider mandatory viewing if you are going to be keeping a jackson. Please review them, and then ask any questions you may have. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKTbUaOQ0aA

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/hoj/634-montane-chameleon-care-info.html

Again, welcome to CF! Please feel free to ask ANY questions here, you can also send me a pm if you like, and I will get back to you asap. ;)

Cage size is great. 5.0 UVB is perfect, 10.0 is a bit much for Jackson's. Will probally do better with a 40 watt regular lightbulb over a heat emitter, will be better for daytime heat and light. I use a simple dripper and sprayer so I don't really know that water system, would do lots of research before you buy anything. I also use a cool mist humidifier to add humidity and find this really helps, run it on a timer and it is simple and effective. To mount plants I run a single board across the top and you can hang a nice size plant from there (I love Pothos). As for branches and vines, just takes creativity. Some things people use are thumb tacks, fishing line, twist ties. All can be used to secure branches and vines. Good luck and welcome.

Welcome, I think you are covered for now. But any questions just hollar, there are no dumb questions. :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the advice. Those two links, especially, were excellent and gave me a lot to consider!

I really liked the set up in the Youtube video and I think it's something I would be able to set up on my own (which is saying a lot because I am far from crafty!)

I was wondering if you guys have a preferred humidifier that that is able to be rigged up like he has his in the video? I did some searching on Amazon and there seem to be tons and tons of three star humidifiers. So at this point I would basically be taking a shot in the dark.

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome and the advice!

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the advice. Those two links, especially, were excellent and gave me a lot to consider!

I really liked the set up in the Youtube video and I think it's something I would be able to set up on my own (which is saying a lot because I am far from crafty!)

I was wondering if you guys have a preferred humidifier that that is able to be rigged up like he has his in the video? I did some searching on Amazon and there seem to be tons and tons of three star humidifiers. So at this point I would basically be taking a shot in the dark.

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome and the advice!

Its going to depend on where you live, if you want to use the humidifier or not. When I lived in a very dry, desert like area, I found it a must. I live near the coast now, and its much more humid naturally, so I dont use one.

You may consider getting a digital temp/humidity gauge now, so you can start monitoring what type of environment your going to be working with. ;)

If you live in a colder area, and are using a heater to warm your house, this is going to drop your ambient RH drastically. So you may need the humidifier.

Cool mist humidifier is the way to go, whether its the reptifogger, or one for human use that you modify, they are all the same. Its cheaper to modify one last I looked though. ;)

Its going to depend on where you live, if you want to use the humidifier or not. When I lived in a very dry, desert like area, I found it a must. I live near the coast now, and its much more humid naturally, so I dont use one.

You may consider getting a digital temp/humidity gauge now, so you can start monitoring what type of environment your going to be working with. ;)

If you live in a colder area, and are using a heater to warm your house, this is going to drop your ambient RH drastically. So you may need the humidifier.

Cool mist humidifier is the way to go, whether its the reptifogger, or one for human use that you modify, they are all the same. Its cheaper to modify one last I looked though. ;)

Ahhh! I am so dumb. Completely forgot about the repti-fogger. I actually work part time at a pet smart so I would get a discount. This would make it cheaper than actually rigging up a humidifier I believe. Thanks a ton!

As far as actually needing one, I think I will. I currently own a Blue Tongue Skink and I have trouble keeping his humidity up, and his humidity requirement is much much less than a Jackson's.

So it looks like I have a good start thanks to you guys.

I'll probably go with the repti-breeze (I like the DYI cages but they are currently out of stock on the extra large) with the reptisun 5.0, a repti-fogger, and a mist king. For now I'll focus on getting that all set up and getting the temp/humidity correct. Still a long ways off of actually purchasing the Jackson's I believe, but better to get it right before hand yea?

Thanks again guys! I'll definitely post and let you know how it all goes.

Back
Top Bottom