Senegal Cham to Veiled Cham

MCSEB

Okay so today I ordered an 18x18x36' screen cage with a UVB bulb. It should be arriving on Friday. I'm planning on working on the cage and getting the rest of the things this weekend. Next week I am considering on getting my very first reptile/chameleon. I wanted to get a senegal chameleon first but then I was finding out that most of the websites that are selling them have wild Senegal chameleons and I heard wild chameleons are tougher to take care of. Then I started to think about my second option which was a Veiled chameleon which was a chameleon I wanted to get a months from now if I was doing well with my Senegal. The thing is I am getting a chameleon next week and I just want to make my mind up and make sure I'm making the right decision. If anyone knows about Senegal chameleons and Veiled please let me know. I don't know a lot about Veiled chameleons so I'm going to read a little about them and try to see if they're much different from Senegal because I know a lot about Senegal and if they're not then that would make everything much easier. If anyone knows anything about Veiled and could help me out by giving me some information, please go ahead!

I think that you'll find that the veiled would be more suitable due to being captive bred/hatched. As you're already aware, most senegals are wild and you'll have to invest additional time and dollars in your initial maintenance.

There are several members that have successfully kept senegals, but you'll probably have more feed back on veileds due to their popularity and "easier" maintenance. They're also hardier and more forgiving to rookie mistakes, not that I anticipate you having any problems. ;)

Why does it have to be next week? Generally veiled chams are the the best beginners. I don't know a whole lot about senegals but ive heard mixed oppinions about them, so overall since this is your first reptile i would go with a veiled, but it is YOUR decision. Nobody can decide for you, they can give you suggestions but can't tell you what to get. If you really want a Senegal Cham you could just wait for the next opportunity you get for a captive then buy it. And for a first reptile I would get a crested or leopard gecko or bearded dragon first, just saying. Doesn't mean you should, just a recommendation. I keep a few cresties and they are great ;). Hope this helped in some way!

-Cole

Well you know my advice already, but welcome to the forum again :) You seem to have your animals best interests at heart and that's the most important thing but yeah.......get a Veiled :D They need a bit more room as adults but if you get a male he'll get a nice impressive crest and a bit more patterning too. You might want a Senegal more in some way, but Veileds are equally awesome animals.

I think that you'll find that the veiled would be more suitable due to being captive bred/hatched. As you're already aware, most senegals are wild and you'll have to invest additional time and dollars in your initial maintenance.

There are several members that have successfully kept senegals, but you'll probably have more feed back on veileds due to their popularity and "easier" maintenance. They're also hardier and more forgiving to rookie mistakes, not that I anticipate you having any problems. ;)

Yes, I found out that you have to spend extra money on wild senegals and since this is going to be my first reptile/chameleon, I don't want to have all this stress. I want to be calm and I want my chameleon to be very happy and healthy.

Why does it have to be next week? Generally veiled chams are the the best beginners. I don't know a whole lot about senegals but ive heard mixed oppinions about them, so overall since this is your first reptile i would go with a veiled, but it is YOUR decision. Nobody can decide for you, they can give you suggestions but can't tell you what to get. If you really want a Senegal Cham you could just wait for the next opportunity you get for a captive then buy it. And for a first reptile I would get a crested or leopard gecko or bearded dragon first, just saying. Doesn't mean you should, just a recommendation. I keep a few cresties and they are great ;). Hope this helped in some way!

-Cole

On Friday my cage is coming in with the UVB bulb. I still need to get a hold of a dipper, hand mister, plants, branches/twigs, UVA bulb and I need to set up the cage and everything. By Sunday I should already be ordering it hopefully. I appreciate your opinion. I heard senegals are great for beginners but I read a care sheet about veiled and I think they're much easier in my opinion. I'm going to go with the veiled as my first one. Actually speaking about leopard geckos, I was just in LA for the winter break. My cousin bought himself a gecko a few months ago and he really liked it. Now he owns about 20 leopard geckos so I have experience with them. I've fed them, held them and helped him change their water and clean up, etc. They're really cool but I like something I could hold every now and then. Your advice did help so thank you so much :D

Well you know my advice already, but welcome to the forum again :) You seem to have your animals best interests at heart and that's the most important thing but yeah.......get a Veiled :D They need a bit more room as adults but if you get a male he'll get a nice impressive crest and a bit more patterning too. You might want a Senegal more in some way, but Veileds are equally awesome animals.

Thanks again for everything, David! I absolutely have a heart for animals and I love owning them, being around them and playing with them. I am definitely going with the veiled as my first pet chameleon so I am really looking forward to it. I'm going to get a baby one though. I hope they're not as much as a pain as the adults lol

Thanks again for everything, David! I absolutely have a heart for animals and I love owning them, being around them and playing with them. I am definitely going with the veiled as my first pet chameleon so I am really looking forward to it. I'm going to get a baby one though. I hope they're not as much as a pain as the adults lol

Now you're making me doubt you just a little bit.........Chameleons are definitely not a playing sort of animal. There are lots of pictures of people holding their chameleons, but I personally haven't held my male Veiled since before Christmas. He tolerates me, and if he's hungry he'll eat a locust from my hand. He sometimes comes out his door for misting, which is nice. Mostly he prefers to be left in his own territory where he can imagine that nobody can see him. I mostly respect that and he never hisses or tries to bite me :) If you are not prepared to look after an older animal that might be better thought of as a display animal (like tropical fish) it might be better not to get one.
I like your enthusiasm, and you will certainly be able to handle him a bit, and let him roam around the room while you keep a very careful watch on him. But can you handle a full week of leaving him to himself while he settles in?

Now you're making me doubt you just a little bit.........Chameleons are definitely not a playing sort of animal. There are lots of pictures of people holding their chameleons, but I personally haven't held my male Veiled since before Christmas. He tolerates me, and if he's hungry he'll eat a locust from my hand. He sometimes comes out his door for misting, which is nice. Mostly he prefers to be left in his own territory where he can imagine that nobody can see him. I mostly respect that and he never hisses or tries to bite me :) If you are not prepared to look after an older animal that might be better thought of as a display animal (like tropical fish) it might be better not to get one.
I like your enthusiasm, and you will certainly be able to handle him a bit, and let him roam around the room while you keep a very careful watch on him. But can you handle a full week of leaving him to himself while he settles in?

No I don't mean I'm going to play with him. I was just saying in general like I love all animals. I enjoy being around them and seeing how they are and I enjoy playing with animals like dogs and cats. I know you can't handle your chameleon too much and I wasn't planning to until the first week that he's in his new home. I wanted to take a few pictures of me handling him after his first week and send them over to my cousin and to post a few on this forum :) Trust me I do have patience so I will be able to leave him alone in his new home.

Yes, I know. Just had to make sure you knew the responsibilities....it's a public forum you know.....I have a reputation to uphold......lol......if only they knew I was really staying up all night drinking tea and smoking and listening to rocknroll I'm sure I wouldn't have the reputation...:cool: :rolleyes:.. You'll do great, you've made some wise choices already I reckon :D

Yes, I know. Just had to make sure you knew the responsibilities....it's a public forum you know.....I have a reputation to uphold......lol......if only they knew I was really staying up all night drinking tea and smoking and listening to rocknroll I'm sure I wouldn't have the reputation...:cool: :rolleyes:.. You'll do great, you've made some wise choices already I reckon :D

completely understand. I just didn't want to get off on the wrong foot. Hey at least you're enjoying yourself right? That's all that matters. Do whatever you want and listen to whatever you want and stay up for as long as you want. It's 2:30am over here and I can't get off this forum because I just keep finding interesting stuff to read about! I'm addicted lol :eek::eek:
I'm glad you believe in me though haha :D

Back
Top Bottom