Senegal cage?

BeginnerCham

Hi I'm new here and don't have any chameleons yet. I have a few questions though. First is would a Senegal chameleon be good for sort of a beginner? I have had pygmies before and I have good experience with other reptiles. My other question is If I had to would it be ok to use a glass aquarium? I know there bad because humidity, airflow, stress and stuff but we already have a nice cage. We have a 40 or 50 gallon bow front (36L by 12W by 20H) and its already planted from previous pets. We might be able to make it taller but I'm not sure. It would only be housing one chameleon at a time. Thanks!

Hi I'm new here and don't have any chameleons yet. I have a few questions though. First is would a Senegal chameleon be good for sort of a beginner? I have had pygmies before and I have good experience with other reptiles. My other question is If I had to would it be ok to use a glass aquarium? I know there bad because humidity, airflow, stress and stuff but we already have a nice cage. We have a 40 or 50 gallon bow front (36L by 12W by 20H) and its already planted from previous pets. We might be able to make it taller but I'm not sure. It would only be housing one chameleon at a time. Thanks!

senegal cham they get them from the wild nd put them in petstores a beginner is a vield or a panther but good luck :D

-This is Cheyenne-

No, we don't use aquiriums for chameleons. Sometimes we use terrariums, but usually in certain places of the world. A Senegal isn't really the best choice as a beginner. The vet bills will be high as they're mostly wild caught.

-This is Cheyenne-

No, we don't use aquiriums for chameleons. Sometimes we use terrariums, but usually in certain places of the world. A Senegal isn't really the best choice as a beginner. The vet bills will be high as they're mostly wild caught.

Many people in places like Canada and Alaska use glass tanks with great success. Yes, most definitely depends on location.

I wouldnt shy away from using a glass terrarium. If you do use a brand like exo-terra if you can afford to purchase another one, they have good air flow and that whole glass stress thing isn't completely true. More of a rumor, this guy posted a very good thread about the misconception of glass terrariums versus what we all think and it is quite interesting. You should read it.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/everyone-who-knows-you-cant-keep-chams-glass-31937/

worth your time to read it!

And as far as a Senegal, I would shy away from them until you have a bit more experience just because of their consistent health issues. You might find yourself having continuous vet visits like Karma said which believe me will rack up big time. Which will really not be a lot of fun for you. So in my opinion I would get a male Veiled because they are hardy and not 300 dollars like a Panther lol the price is worth how durable they are. Hope this helps! :D

Back
Top Bottom