#!#*&@ screen window spline!

Sean1978

Either this guy makes it look easy OR he makes me look stupid. I'm guessing it's probably a bit of both.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Hsy-tCOkw

I got a DIY screen window replacement kit to tool around with before I actually make my Chameleon cage (I'm making a topper for a 10G aquarium for practice) and the spline was a complete PITA. I'm wondering if the kit came with a spline that was too large OR if I just have the wrong tool. The spline is a lot bigger than the groove on my tool.

I got a goo arm workout for the last 2 hours, and I only got 2 sides done.

It's got to be easier than this...

I am sure I know what you did.

What size spline are you using?

The spline for fiberglass screen is much larger than the one for aluminum screen.

I found out the hard way - wastign an entire roll of screen.

Yeah, it's hard. I've made 3 2x2x3 cages. I found if you get the smallest spline, it is MUCH easier. I think I ended up using .125, and it went much smoother. However, it's still hard as hell to get the tension even. I end up with some warped panels. I use the least warped for the door and just have a 2x3 door.

It's cheaper, but if you do the cost to savings ratio you're working for like $3/hour!

yes, I believe the .125 is right for aluminum.

The trick is to make a jig, so the frames stay straight when you put the spine in. It gets easy - especially if you're onyl making one or two cages. Any questions, ask me.

I made a dozen or so.

calm down its not worth getting yourself worked up over

1. they make smaller guage spline

2. try stretching the spline out, this makes it thinner and easier to put in

other than that its really really easy i did a whole cage in an hour or so and most of that time was spent getting my technique down, after that i was cranking

Another thing - with aluminum, you HAVE to run the roller tool through first, using the non-grooved end of the roller. When the screen is pushed in, THEN use the spline, using the grooved end of the roller tool.

th eguy in the video is using fiberglass - different world. MUCH easier than aluminum. IF you try to screen your windows with fiberglass screen after you've used aluminum, you'll be shocked at how easy it is!

[It's cheaper, but if you do the cost to savings ratio you're working for like $3/hour!

haha, not really doing it for the money savings. I like learning how to do new things. I figure I could apply whatever I learn now later. DIY screening seems to be a useful household skill.

Yeah, I'm thinking the kit I bought was made for fiberglass. I'll get some thinner stuff to do the two other sides tomorrow.

Is the fiberglass stuff bad? I could see how it could be easier on the nails of a Cham, however I could also see it as having more potential for filth collection.

Got thinner spline and a wider tool today, finished up my practice project a lot easer.

I'll post pics after I find my camera cable, it's basically a screen extension for a 10 gallon aquarium, I put a few plants and an anole from the back yard into it.

Back
Top Bottom