Sailfin Chameleon

redline

Hi guys, being a while searching for my first champ. 3 months of research on this forum and I finally gave in. Visited a reptile store today, and they where just placing five of this wild Sailfin Chameleon. My search was for a Panther or Veiled but my whole family stuck with this one. I was not intended to buy one but just by the care of the store... Might be better to rescue other than buying. Don't know the sex or basic temperature range.
Have a 24x24x48 cage, basking light, 10.0 UV light
Will be posting soon...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354393305137.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354393305137.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 586
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354393318598.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354393318598.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 543
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354393334824.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354393334824.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 471
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354393357898.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354393357898.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 524
Very cool chameleon! What kind of care do they require? I have never seen one before. I'm excited to see more pics. It seems to be a hit with the kids!

Very cool chameleon! What kind of care do they require? I have never seen one before. I'm excited to see more pics. It seems to be a hit with the kids!

Wish I knew.. Al my research for Panther and veiled and I end up with this cutie... So far he ate two horn wood worns I think is the name

Hi guys, being a while searching for my first champ. 3 months of research on this forum and I finally gave in. Visited a reptile store today, and they where just placing five of this wild Sailfin Chameleon. My search was for a Panther or Veiled but my whole family stuck with this one. I was not intended to buy one but just by the care of the store... Might be better to rescue other than buying. Don't know the sex or basic temperature range.
Will be posting soon...

That is a female Trioceros cristatus. They are a montane species that will require high humidity. The care will be quite different than a panther/veiled as far as temperature and basking. Start a search on the forums for "trioceros cristatus" or "Creasted Chameleon" for more information.

Will be posting soon...

Just to get you started
24x24x48 will be a great sized cage.
Temp range is ideal in the 70s
basking light up top, low wattage. I suspect you will find the basking light not used. But your cage is big enough that you are allowing many gradients which is excellent. Just make sure the bottom of the cage is in the 70s and watch where she spends her day. She will gravitate to the area that gives her the best temperature and feeling of security. Make sure she has plenty of hiding places. you can do this by branching the cage through out and making the lower two feet of the cage a dense jungle. If your ambient room temperature is above 80, ditch the basking light.
Heavy foliage with planted plants will raise the humidity on the bottom due to the moist dirt. She is a shy species so will appreciate a more more densely "leafed" cage.
Important: This species enjoys its water. Be generous with your misting.
Is your bulb the Reptisun 10.0 UV? Sorry, but that bulb is for desert species and not suitable for chameleons. You need the Reptisun 5.0. Unfortunately, you don't want to mess with too high of a UVB rating.

It is a great sign that she is eating! Many T. cristatus come in emaciated and on their death bed. Yours is unhealthfully skinny so keep a watch on her. She is alert so that is a good sign. You'll want to get a fecal done to look for parasites. Parasites would decrease your chances of bringing her back to top condition. Make sure she is very hydrated and keep up the good feeding! She needs to eat eat eat and drink drink drink.

rate5a9y.jpg
Thanks guys... Will make the changes, I have also a cool mist hook up for humidity..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354395502567.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354395502567.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 225
Well, seen hungry... 3 krickets and two worns... Not bad.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354396217305.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354396217305.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 302
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354396246746.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354396246746.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 276
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354396283248.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354396283248.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 344
Well, seen hungry... 3 krickets and two worns... Not bad.

If she keeps that up you will have her bouncing back quickly! Make sure you gutload those insects so she is getting all the nutrients she needs.

Has she shown you the red in her throat and the gorgeous blue ring around her head? When they settle in and get back to prime health you will see amazing things with this species!

If she keeps that up you will have her bouncing back quickly! Make sure you gutload those insects so she is getting all the nutrients she needs.

Has she shown you the red in her throat and the gorgeous blue ring around her head? When they settle in and get back to prime health you will see amazing things with this species!

Yup... The red rings where awesome with the first worn... Did not know about that color....

Well 2nd day.. Two large cricket so far. I do notice that she wants to go down do be in the plant away from heat. I try to moved her a couple of time and she feel way to cold, not sure if this species like to be very humid. I have the cool mist hitting all the way to the bottom. Top pre basking are is 84F. The lower part is around 69-72 with 60- 70 humidity (the are in where she is) don't seen to be wanting to bask in a hot are to the top. So basicly this meant I could keep the same temp all around? With no heat just UV?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354463512461.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354463512461.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 270
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354463640313.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354463640313.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 304
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354463687934.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354463687934.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 310
I've never had one of these myself, but maybe she wants to be hiding in the plants - dont seem to be enough of them in there - or maybe she just doesnt want to be hot. Montane chameleons usually prefer cooler temps and higher humidity. Aim for:
Ambient 68-75F
Basking site temp high 70’s up to mid 80’s
Nigh time temp drop of 5-10 degrees
Humidity 80-90%

AdCham says: "While this species rarely can be seen "basking", they enjoy high UV exposure, so double UV lights can be used. Temperament ranges from timid (usually males) to aggressive (usually females). Most common prey insects are eagerly accepted by this species, although they are not aggressive hunters. They show a fondness for larvae type foods. Males in particular are sensitive to supplementation, so little or no supplements should be used if the prey items are properly gut-loaded. This is a very difficult species to maintain, even for the most experienced keepers."
Females are more green while males have more brown, khaki and grey with blue around the head crest.

Last edited:
I noticed you’ve been reading some of my random musings about the Trioceros cristatus on other threads so my apologies if I repeat myself here. I know I’ve written a lot about the cristatus so definitely run some searches about the species on the boards.

The cristatus aren’t big baskers I find; they only do it for a short time each day then move off. That said, I think your temperatures and such are fine and yes provide a basking area so she can choose what temperatures she is comfortable at to do things she does like bask, eat, digest, hide etc. I find they use more of the horizontal space (you noticed this today) than vertical so a huge, tall cage isn’t necessarily warranted but perhaps a wider one is better. In Cameroon they are found on low bushes not high in the canopy. They are very, very shy though so provide her with lots of cover the hide in. They aren’t fussy eaters but don’t have huge appetites like Veileds or Panthers so don’t panic if she doesn’t eat a lot. Just make sure she is eating. The cristatus come from areas of Cameroon that have significant rainfall every year so provide her with this. She likes it and needs it. As you know she is wild caught so providing ample water at this stage will only help her acclimate faster.

Reactions: Hoj
Thanks guys... Both input help... The mist fogger I made is great and she seen to enjoy it. She likes most the base of the plant in the lower and most humid area. I have the 10 UV that might help since she seems to spend the time in the bottom. So good so far..

beautiful cham :p Is her name Milly as well? We have a veiled chameleon and her name is Milly ! My daughter picked it because she said the first name we picked was to hard to remember. Chamilly ! lol

beautiful cham :p Is her name Milly as well? We have a veiled chameleon and her name is Milly ! My daughter picked it because she said the first name we picked was to hard to remember. Chamilly ! lol

LoL, Yes, Milly our Daughter picked it.

I sure do miss my cristatus, they were a neat species. Ungreatfull but cool non the less.
Trace knows those chams very well take her advise and you will do as well as possible.
cheers
HOj

I sure do miss my cristatus, they were a neat species. Ungreatfull but cool non the less.
Trace knows those chams very well take her advise and you will do as well as possible.
cheers
HOj

Thanks HOj, take on Trace and many other on this.. Did not want a difficult species to work with but this my baby now... Family choose her and we are all on the care. Just finished the small Mister setup, raized the cage for drainage, let see how we do... Keep ya posted.

She seem to like the bottom humid part of the cage. Not the top or try to get any UV or Heat.
Is 10 UV fine or double up on 5.0?

AdCham says: "While this species rarely can be seen "basking", they enjoy high UV exposure, so double UV lights can be used.

Back
Top Bottom