Roach colony

yungzerk

Avid Member
Just ordered about 100 mixed adult dubia roaches with a lot of juvenile and babies mixed in, hoping to get my roach colony booming soon! will update 😁
IMG_3146.jpeg
IMG_3149.png
IMG_3150.png

That’s awesome!! Who gets excited over roaches!!! lol cham parents that’s who.
I use oranges or orange peels to encourage breeding if you haven’t heard that yet. 😊 definitely keep us updated on how it goes.
oo ive never heard of that, thank you so much! Its funny just they just arrived today and i already noticed a female with an egg sack hanging out of her butt lol

The warm weather is coming up, so it should be easy to keep them toasty warm. They prefer temps around 90 to breed. I don’t give them any extra light and usually keep them in the garage, which is dark except for the cat’s nightlights. About once a week or so I spray down the substrate a little for the isopods and springtails.

The warm weather is coming up, so it should be easy to keep them toasty warm. They prefer temps around 90 to breed. I don’t give them any extra light and usually keep them in the garage, which is dark except for the cat’s nightlights. About once a week or so I spray down the substrate a little for the isopods and springtails.
i plan to add some isopods and springtails soon to help with the cleanup and stuff soon!

also random question, but i know you’re had a roach colony for some time now. do they give live birth, or why would i be seeing a few females with egg sacks sticking out?

also random question, but i know you’re had a roach colony for some time now. do they give live birth, or why would i be seeing a few females with egg sacks sticking out?
Discoids do give live birth and I believe dubia do too. I had the egg sack hanging out once when I was sorting thru my colony which was stressful for them. I’ve since learned to be more gentle when moving them. It’s kind of like a prolapse I think (not positive). Hopefully it will go back in and she’ll be fine.
I was fortunate enough only once to find brand new just born nymphs. *might want to mute the sound…I tried & can’t remove it.

Discoids do give live birth and I believe dubia do too. I had the egg sack hanging out once when I was sorting thru my colony which was stressful for them. I’ve since learned to be more gentle when moving them. It’s kind of like a prolapse I think (not positive). Hopefully it will go back in and she’ll be fine.
I was fortunate enough only once to find brand new just born nymphs. *might want to mute the sound…I tried & can’t remove it.

ahhh okay, thank you so much for the reply! That is amazing, i never knew they gave live birth. I’m sure it’s hanging out cause i just put her in a new colony but hopefully she’ll start to incubate it☺️

Back
Top Bottom