RI and some other stuff

Mike-
I called the vet today to see if they got anything from the fecal.The receptionist said that it came back with something, but the vet that takes care of reptiles is on vacation until wednesday. It was the same poop I posted a pic of, and I'm wondering: Do they only check for parasites? Could it have been the dead bacteria you said was probably on there? Or is it only a parasite. I'm almost hoping for a parasite, because then we could just treat it and be done, no more guessing games. Are there any parasites that could cause RI symptoms?

Mike-
I called the vet today to see if they got anything from the fecal.The receptionist said that it came back with something, but the vet that takes care of reptiles is on vacation until wednesday. It was the same poop I posted a pic of, and I'm wondering: Do they only check for parasites? Could it have been the dead bacteria you said was probably on there? Or is it only a parasite. I'm almost hoping for a parasite, because then we could just treat it and be done, no more guessing games. Are there any parasites that could cause RI symptoms?

I can't hazard a guess here, you are going to have wait for the vet's office. Please let us know what they say.

The issue I mentioned earlier with the antibiotic eliminating beneficial gut bacteria wouldn't show anything weird in a fecal as far as I know. It was just a guess as the reason for the weird look of it. Without beneficial gut bacteria, it is harder to absorb nutrients and digest fully. They tell humans to eat yogurt after antibiotics treatments for that reason.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Ambilobe Panther Chameleon, 14-15 months old, male, named Captain. Had him since November 30.
Handling - Once a day or less. Once he's out he is totally fine, but he doesn't like my hand in his cage unless I'm feeding him. He also loves showers, so I try to get him in one at least once a week.

Feeding - He gets fed every other day, with treats in between. He really, really, loves crickets, so I've been gut loading them well (lettuce, carrot, potato, sweet potato, apple, baby spinach, etc.) He doesn't go for roaches, hornworms, phoenix worms he used to but not so much these days, but he'll eat the soldier flies. Recently I've tried silkworms which he seems to like, I haven't given him a full meal of them yet because they aren't big enough.

Supplements - Calcium w/o d3 every feeding
multivitamin twice a month
d3 twice a month.

Watering - Mister that goes off every 2.5 hours for four minutes. He also has a chameleon cantina running full time.

Fecal Description - Has not been parasite checked.

History - Recently finished antibiotic treatment for an RI, but is still showing symptoms.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Reptibreeze XL

Lighting - 75watt basking spot lamp and a reptisun 5.0 tube.

Temperature - basking spot around 100 degrees, recently i had a 100watt there and it was up to 112, but he wasn't burned and spent most of his time there, so I'm wondering if my probe is working right. Bottom of the cage about 68, low seventies in the middle.

Lowest overnight temp? Probably around 63 degrees, according to my thermostat.

Humidity - I use a probe, and it is about forty percent ambient-ly, with spikes and drops in concurrence with the misting schedule.
Plants - None at the moment, but I'm getting a money tree and a pathos which should be arriving within the next two weeks. Otherwise everything is artificial.
Placement - Cage is in my bedroom, the top is 6 feet above the floor. Not near fans or anything, but is next to a window, but he can only see the sky.
Location - NY

Problem--Still showing RI symptoms after antibiotic treatment. Wondering if it's something else. Also, he pooped this about five minutes ago, and it really doesn't look normal to me. Any thoughts? I'm trying to get my parents to bring me to the vet to have a fecal done.

Lol, this is really random but I noticed you had the chameleon cantina. Do you like it? Is it fit for a panther?

Lol, this is really random but I noticed you had the chameleon cantina. Do you like it? Is it fit for a panther?

I don't know if he's been drinking from it, but he's not dehydrated and I don't see him drink during mistings so I'm assuming he does

Leslie: The temp is lower than 100, abou t95. If it is lower than that, he spends all day there because he is too cold otherwise.

Spoke to the vet today. He has pinworms. We are going to treat even though we're not sure it's causing any symptoms. The vet said that it's not proven that the pinworms actually do anything wrong and said we didn't HAVE to treat, but I wanted to just to get him in tip top shape. Ever heard of a parasite presenting like an RI?

Spoke to the vet today. He has pinworms. We are going to treat even though we're not sure it's causing any symptoms. The vet said that it's not proven that the pinworms actually do anything wrong and said we didn't HAVE to treat, but I wanted to just to get him in tip top shape. Ever heard of a parasite presenting like an RI?

This is just a guess...I'm no expert here. There are circulatory system parasites (microfilaria) that could be found in blood vessels and heart that could present symptoms similar to a RI. And there are parasites that are found mostly in the respiratory tract rather than the GI tract, so again I bet symptoms could mimic an RI. I bet the load would have to be pretty heavy though.

Hm. well hopefully he will get better on the meds. It's one dosage, and then another dosage two weeks later. Can he take his reptaid at the same time? I've found that it helps him.

Back
Top Bottom