Reptisun 5.0 or 10.0

hiihenry

I have a 3x2x4 (lwh) cage for my Adult Panther Chameleon. It's time to change bulbs and I have been using a 24" Reptisun 5.0.

It just occurred to me though that I might be needing a stronger light since I now have a bigger cage!

So should I get a Reptisun 5.0 or use a 10.0?

Also I work at a petshop so I get discounts..but we only carry ReptiGlo...I've read that reptisun is better, but that the 10.0 reptiglo is comparable to the reptisun 5.0

depends on:
1) the thickness of your screen/mesh
2) the distance from your uvb perch to the uvb light

what kind of a cage do you have?

The thickness from the top is just chicken screen which has probably 1/4 inch holes.
The cage is just a wood frame with screen on 3 sides and wood on the back.
Edit: On the sides though it's a soft fiberglass mesh made for pets :)

I just took my chameleon in to the vet on Sat and the vet who is a 15year chameleon breeder said that a 5.0 bulb is worthless and not to waste my money. He said that chameleons should have a 7.0 or better he suggested I go with the 10.0.

The thickness from the top is just chicken screen which has probably 1/4 inch holes.
The cage is just a wood frame with screen on 3 sides and wood on the back.
Edit: On the sides though it's a soft fiberglass mesh made for pets :)

my cage is actually 3x2x4 as well, with 1/4'' steel mesh on top. i have a double fixture that holds a reptiGLO 5.0 and a 6500K, with my uvb perches ranging from 10'' to right up to the top of the cage, and all is great. i wouldnt worry about it, and i deffinately wouldnt use a 10.0

I just took my chameleon in to the vet on Sat and the vet who is a 15year chameleon breeder said that a 5.0 bulb is worthless and not to waste my money. He said that chameleons should have a 7.0 or better he suggested I go with the 10.0.

haha oh rly?!

What kinda cage you got?

if you are are working with something like an exo-terra flexarium, or a very close knit dark screen (pet screen or such) if it is a 4' cage, i would consider using a 10.0. i dont know where this vet gets 7.0, she must be very unsure and cant choose between, so she picks the one in the middle :rolleyes:

the only way you can be sure is by finding a place you can rent a uvb meter, or just invest in one to own

Hmmm alright, well it seems that using a 5.0 I'm good...The perch is probably about 8-10" inches away...I have lots of bamboo sticks and soaker hoses so I can always make closer perches if needed.

On lllreptile, the 10.0 says that it's good for larger terrariums because it reaches 10" +...in cages is it normal to have a "basking" spot for the UVB? or is it something you kinda want all over?

if you are are working with something like an exo-terra flexarium, or a very close knit dark screen (pet screen or such) if it is a 4' cage, i would consider using a 10.0. i dont know where this vet gets 7.0, she must be very unsure and cant choose between, so she picks the one in the middle :rolleyes:

the only way you can be sure is by finding a place you can rent a uvb meter, or just invest in one to own

He did say the best thing is to get a uvb meter to know for sure if the bulb is good enough. However they are like $200 or more.

screen cage

I have a 3x2x4 (lwh) cage for my Adult Panther Chameleon. It's time to change bulbs and I have been using a 24" Reptisun 5.0.

It just occurred to me though that I might be needing a stronger light since I now have a bigger cage!

So should I get a Reptisun 5.0 or use a 10.0?

Also I work at a petshop so I get discounts..but we only carry ReptiGlo...I've read that reptisun is better, but that the 10.0 reptiglo is comparable to the reptisun 5.0

The sreen filters out alot of the light. I have been using the 10.0 for a year and have had no problems. zoomed recomends 10.0 for screen cages.

I have a mesh screen the zoomed kind its 4ft tall.
Pedro likes to bask and sit under his uvb, not the whole day but enough
to where a 5.0 reptiglo or a reptisun is just fine.

chameleons lover... just throwin it out there, almost most if not all use the zoo med and exo-terra brands.

to the o.p, check out ebay. im sure you could find one next to nothing brand new.

i have a 2x2x4 pet screen cage, screen is pretty dark and close-knit.. sometimes dr dre climbs on the roof and stays directly under the uvb light. im using reptiglo 5.0, im guessing i should get a reptisun 10.0? any danger of using the 10.0?

Hiihenry how about some pics of your boy?? I have one of Flashes boys as well and am curious to see how yours looks...

The sreen filters out alot of the light. I have been using the 10.0 for a year and have had no problems. zoomed recomends 10.0 for screen cages.
mwebb: the screen isn't bad though, it's chicken wire on top with 1/4" holes..so from above it doesn't block out a lot of light.
Seeing though that it is a big cage, I might just try the 10.0 this year, especially cuz I only have a 24" fixture.

Hiihenry how about some pics of your boy?? I have one of Flashes boys as well and am curious to see how yours looks...
Were you the one that messaged me?? Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you...
here's a picture of him in April, he's about a year old there, he's pretty much usually that blue, and then has his bars come through..the sky is kinda making him all blue though, how old is yours?

DSCN0533.jpg

This one is him at 6-7 mos:
DSC_0335.jpg

Back
Top Bottom