Reds in babies?

BIGGUN

Avid Member
Do female babies, around 8 weeks show reds and blues (mainly around turrets and throat) or do only male babies have this coloration?

Thanks,
Kevin

Do female babies, around 8 weeks show reds and blues (mainly around turrets and throat) or do only male babies have this coloration?

Thanks,
Kevin

Females can show that color too. Color is not a good determination of sex at that age.

Ive noticed in all of my babies the females are the more colorful ones compared to the males. Ive noticed they get the dots of color around the cheek area and yes in the throat area they throw lots more red. Ive noticed they show the pinkish tint also. My males usually are pretty drab. Just being dark but in certain moods they all look alike:confused:

Ive noticed in all of my babies the females are the more colorful ones compared to the males. Ive noticed they get the dots of color around the cheek area and yes in the throat area they throw lots more red. Ive noticed they show the pinkish tint also. My males usually are pretty drab. Just being dark but in certain moods they all look alike:confused:

This male from Amandil always had this color before he started to color up at about 4 months old. In the pic he is about 3 months old Looks quite different than his clutch mates with color as well. Even as a baby he was brighter lighter and more colorful than the other "darker" males like Cainschams was explaining. There are always exceptions to the rule. My male thought he was a female. He had the bluedots on his cheaks. everything screamed female. then the bulge started to show really well.

i wish I had some younger pics on me , you would swear a female.

IMG_3440.jpg

Last edited:
Females can show that color too. Color is not a good determination of sex at that age.

If we are talking about pardalis, then I dont agree with you.
I determine the sex on my pardalis by looking at the throat colours and 99% of the time, im right. Sure, it depends on what locale.
In general females has red/orange throat colours and males has blue/grey throat colours. Males from Ankaramy and Nosy mitsio can also have red throat colours.
You can determine the sex from the very first day this way.
Here is a picture of a F.pardalis "ankify" female.
http://www.kamaeleoner.dk/images/stories/Furcifer pardalis/f.pardalis0.jpg

Before I used this method, It was a bit more difficult.
I had to wait until they where around 3 weeks before I could determine the sex. Males has a more grey/black and white colours and females has more light brown and white colours. I used this method in day time and it was a hard way to do it, but after some practice, I got 85%-90% times right. Sure, some babys was brown one day and grey the next day, but it did work for me for many years. The only problem with this method is that is kind of a baby color phase, so you cant do it when they are to young and neither if they are to old. Just a note, I only used this method on Ankify, blue ambanja and Nosy be.

Yes I forgot to say that I did agree with Ryan. There are always exceptions to the rule and color isnt something you want to base the sex off of. Like I said sometimes they all look the same. Thats why the first clutch I sold I waited untill I was positive about the sex. I am starting to feel more confident in sexing the younger ones. I think it comes in time although there are plenty of things that make it tricky. If you have time go to my old ad, 3 month old ambilobes, and check out the baby pics. You will see similarities and differences that are pretty subtle.

Ryan that guy looks kick @ in all your pics.

If we are talking about pardalis, then I dont agree with you.
I determine the sex on my pardalis by looking at the throat colours and 99% of the time, im right. Sure, it depends on what locale.
In general females has red/orange throat colours and males has blue/grey throat colours. Males from Ankaramy and Nosy mitsio can also have red throat colours.
You can determine the sex from the very first day this way.
Here is a picture of a F.pardalis "ankify" female.
http://www.kamaeleoner.dk/images/stories/Furcifer pardalis/f.pardalis0.jpg

Before I used this method, It was a bit more difficult.
I had to wait until they where around 3 weeks before I could determine the sex. Males has a more grey/black and white colours and females has more light brown and white colours. I used this method in day time and it was a hard way to do it, but after some practice, I got 85%-90% times right. Sure, some babys was brown one day and grey the next day, but it did work for me for many years. The only problem with this method is that is kind of a baby color phase, so you cant do it when they are to young and neither if they are to old. Just a note, I only used this method on Ankify, blue ambanja and Nosy be.

Too many factors in your response. I am referring in general to all Pardalis. Also you say both males and female can have the throat color. Either way you look at it you are guessing.

Color is not an accurate way to sex at that age. It may work but mistakes can be made. I am not doubting it can be done and that it works for you. A bulge at 2 months would be more than enough to determine a male or female.

Yes I forgot to say that I did agree with Ryan. There are always exceptions to the rule and color isnt something you want to base the sex off of. Like I said sometimes they all look the same. Thats why the first clutch I sold I waited untill I was positive about the sex. I am starting to feel more confident in sexing the younger ones. I think it comes in time although there are plenty of things that make it tricky. If you have time go to my old ad, 3 month old ambilobes, and check out the baby pics. You will see similarities and differences that are pretty subtle.

Ryan that guy looks kick @ in all your pics.

Thanks he is such a stud now. If I ever see males that look like that I will grab them in a hart beat. He is so uniques that orange and white turned into awesome colors.

Too many factors in your response. I am referring in general to all Pardalis. Also you say both males and female can have the throat color. Either way you look at it you are guessing.

Color is not an accurate way to sex at that age. It may work but mistakes can be made. I am not doubting it can be done and that it works for you. A bulge at 2 months would be more than enough to determine a male or female.

As I said, only the ankaramys and nosy mitsios that I have worked with, have had red throat colours, so im not guessing. I dont belive the hemi bulge is a better way to do it, than looking on the throat colours. Your way can be just as much guessing as my way. When they get older, then I use the bulge way to, but as I said, 99% times im right.

I posted my answer, as it might help Kevin.

As I said, only the ankaramys and nosy mitsios that I have worked with, have had red throat colours, so im not guessing. I dont belive the hemi bulge is a better way to do it, than looking on the throat colours. Your way can be just as much guessing as my way. When they get older, then I use the bulge way to, but as I said, 99% times im right.

I posted my answer, as it might help Kevin.

I think you have a very good point , I am just applying it to all Pardalis as I don't believe he is not working with ankaramys. I am just adding to the conversation.

I think your response was very helpful. Sorry if I sounded like I didn't

I do not agree with guessing on the bulge at 2 months it is fairly obvious to me. But thats me. With that being said, I guess just like your method mistakes can happen and truthfully , it is always a best guess.

Don't think I am not going to use your method. I find it interesting and yet another way to be more accurate.

With the bulge and the neck color together maybe 99.5% vs 99% . :D Thanks for your input on this thread. I found it very interesting.

Another thing I have seen and remind you 3 clutches of Ambilobes is that the white lateral stripe is usually more white in males and the fems have the more pinkish tint to it. Like I said they all have moods where the body colors look completely alike and other times its pretty noticable which are male and female. I wish I had a good camera to show some of this but I dont. Im trying to get a friends whos is way better than the one I borrowed earlier. Anyway, I am finding this interesting myself and hope others will chime in who have successfully hatched out many clutches.

Thanks for all the info!

They are ambilobe babies so I guess I'll start looking for the bulge. At what age is it "almost" unmistakable?

Thanks again,
Kevin

Thanks for all the info!

They are ambilobe babies so I guess I'll start looking for the bulge. At what age is it "almost" unmistakable?

Thanks again,
Kevin

At three months you shouldn't have much of a problem. It should be pretty easy by then. You can start now but some will be hard to see.

WOW is this gonna sound bad.......

Does anyone have any pics of their bulges or lack thereof? :eek:

Kevin

Hey Kevin. Dont know if you checked out my first ad but here is the link. There are pictures through out the thread so look at the few pages that are there. You will notice some males with smaller bulges and larger ones also females with smaller vents and some with larger. Check out the colors to get an idea of the difference in that aspect. These are all labled right because no one has told me I sent the wrong sex and its been at least a month I think:eek: Also notice between male 2 and female 2. They look very similar. The male has a very small if any bulge but look at the tones of the colors. Hope this helps.

I guess you need the link https://www.chameleonforums.com/3-month-old-cbb-16081/

Is that little roll right behind his leg the "bulge"?

I was trying to look at cainschams link and MAN is it hard to notice a major difference between the guys and girls.

I'll give it a shot this week.

Thanks a lot,
Kevin

Is that little roll right behind his leg the "bulge"?

I was trying to look at cainschams link and MAN is it hard to notice a major difference between the guys and girls.

I'll give it a shot this week.

Thanks a lot,
Kevin

Here is a slightly older one with it circled. It is the small bump on the tail after the flap bump behind the leg. Don't mistake the flap bump (It is rather obvious) It is subtle in the first pic but you an see it.

Untitled.jpg

Back
Top Bottom