Recovery and now decline

SaintJimmy

Avid Member
I have neglected to take Monty to the vet because he seemed to be recovering well.. Basking and eating like normal and exploring his cage. It seemed he was back to his normal self completely. His tail was even slightly functional and started to use it again.

Sadly this morning he was hanging UPSIDE DOWN. He was doing so well.

I thought that it was just a weird chameleon thing so I gently helped him back up. He made his way to his little hammock (I put it in there to aid him) and he began to blindly bite at it as if it were an aggressor.

I produced a large plastic bin and a soft towel and a low wattage light. He now is in that bin. I put a little bowl of food in there for him as well but it seems as if he doesn't even know it is there.

He was also given some drops of water and drank them.

He is now unable to use his tail, and both back legs. He poses no response when I touch either of them and now lays upon them as if they are some dead weight. He drags himself along with his front feet if he even moves at all.

I am sorry to impose this sad news to all of you. His signs of recovery were most likely a false hope. I was so hopeful for him. Just yesterday he was acting fine.

Now it seems it is late for him. I didn't see the need to take him to the vet before as he was improving well. But now he is confined to a plastic box.

I am sorry Monty.

Thank you everyone. If he does survive past this I will be very glad, but obviously my spirits are darkened right now. He does not look good.

His eyes were very sunken so I assume he is sick, stressed, and possibly dehydrated. He drank from my squirt bottle for a good 2-3 minutes and stopped. He ate a couple superworms today before I noticed his legs weren't working as intended.

I fed him one while he was in the bin too.

He now has some low laying sticks in the bin so he can still climb and such.

It seems like his left back leg actually moves and works. He responds to touch when I touch that one, but his right back leg doesn't work at all it seems.

Again sorry for the sad news.

It may be too late. I would not use the words "giving up" in this sense. It might just be too late to try and get him well.

I don't know who I can convince to take him to the vet, either. I just feel absolutely heartbroken. I don't know if I can help him. I don't know.

I want to take him badly but in all the other cases of this I've seen it never gets better. I wish I could be as hopeful of all of you.

No blame, it's hard as pet owners! Sometimes we can just tell when it's time! Sorry you are going thru this! It's very, very sad!
Sorry for your loss!

Thank you again everyone. Yes it has been hard for me. I think today is one of the first days I have avoided breaking down over the thought of him.

Back
Top Bottom