Question about tomato leaves for hornworm moths

Okay first of all, I KNOW tomato leaves are toxic, but you need the smell for moths to lay eggs.

So anyway, does anyone know if you could clip a bunch of leaves with some small amount of stem attached from a tomato plant, crush/cut it up well and smear that on what you want the eggs laid on, and then freeze what isn't crushed?

I'm 100% certain that smearing crushed tomato leaves would work for a lay spot for eggs, but I'm not sure if the leaves would freeze or how I would go about doing that.

Okay first of all, I KNOW tomato leaves are toxic, but you need the smell for moths to lay eggs.

So anyway, does anyone know if you could clip a bunch of leaves with some small amount of stem attached from a tomato plant, crush/cut it up well and smear that on what you want the eggs laid on, and then freeze what isn't crushed?

I'm 100% certain that smearing crushed tomato leaves would work for a lay spot for eggs, but I'm not sure if the leaves would freeze or how I would go about doing that.

Yes you can we have done it but now we just use a screen cover over the plant. The plant is only toxic if the worm eats it so just collect the eggs every day and if you find a hatched one kill it.We get 300 to a 1000 a day.

I've had moths lay eggs without the tomato leaf smell, unless there was eau de tomato on the paper towels I had.

The only thing I've found is the one with wheat germ, agar, linseed oil, and other crap, and I found a few posts on various forums that it actually kills the worms, so if you see that, don't try it.

Many breeders put the moths in paper bags when they are ready to lay to make egg collecting easier. Just proof you dont need the plants.

I just smoke a big old cigar and the moths will lay anywhere around me...

just kidding... i only say this because i have heard them called tobacco worms also

Horn worms can eat what silkworms eat, but I don't think it goes the other way as well.

All I KNOW silkies can eat is mulberry leaves and the special chow, which is a real pain in the butt. Hornies seem to be a bit of garbage guts.

just kidding... i only say this because i have heard them called tobacco worms also

The tobacco and tomato hornworms are slightly different species I believe.

It molds fast.

Tasty.

hornworms will eat grape vine leaves (which happen to be high in calcium too)

I don't think too many people can get to that. o.o

Do the moths need a special plant to make them lay eggs or will they just lay eggs on any leaves they see? I was hoping I could just stick a Mulberry branch in there with the mulberry leaves so when the eggs will hatch they will just start eating the mulberry leaves XD

I read that they try to lay them wherever they smell the tomato plant smell (not the fruit).

You could try that. You might not get the 100+ eggs from all the females, but it could work.

Well I dont want a miillion eggs XD Id be happy with just a few XD do you know how long they live and how often they breed?

Do the moths need a special plant to make them lay eggs or will they just lay eggs on any leaves they see? I was hoping I could just stick a Mulberry branch in there with the mulberry leaves so when the eggs will hatch they will just start eating the mulberry leaves XD

Are you talking about silkworms then no put them in a shoebox with paper on the bottom they are blind and can't fly.Hornworms will lay them everywhere I will take a pic before we collect them today.

I'm not sure how easy those would be to get in general.

My neighbors have a LOT of weeds, but it's like half dandilions and half bushy weed things... but I could probably get them to pay me to get their weeds. xD

Well I dont want a miillion eggs XD Id be happy with just a few XD do you know how long they live and how often they breed?

The moths live something like 7-10 days, and one female will lay up to 200 eggs or so I think. I believe one mating is all the female needs.

Back
Top Bottom