Pygmy

sandrachameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello
Can anyone point me to websites or care sheets and/or books specific to pygmy keeping? I've lots of experience with panthers, and was supposed to be thinning my collection not adding, but have one of those "too hard to pass up opportunities" to get some Bearded Pygmy and might take advantage of it. Have done a little reading, but expect there is more to learn - Want a solid idea about their care needs before I jump in with both feet.

thanks
S

wow fast responses - thanks!
I've read the FLChams care sheet, the Adcham webpage, several threads on this forum, and the afore mentioned chamnews articles. still want to read more :) so please keep the suggestions coming!

I searched intensively and the sites Laurie just posted were all that I could find.

Main Points:
Heavily planted glass aquarium/ terrarium with a screen top
Spray 1-2 times per day
Make sure the cage dries down between sprays
3 small crickets per Pyg every other day
Low to mid 70's for a high. 10 degree drop in temp at night

They seem to be easy to take care of, time will tell, but in my opinion captive care information is scarce.

Im reading conflicting information on whether or not to house individually or in groups. A trio (2 female, 1 male) seems the most commonly recommended. But I have access only to related individuals, so was thinking of having a single.

thoughts?

They certainly can be housed in groups; Brad Ramsey has made some speculations about the possibility that they may be a relatively social species. That being said, I don't know that a lone pygmy would be "lonely" or need or want company. I started with a 1.2 group and witnessed very little in the way of obvious interactions. Mine were wild caught; both females have passed on and the male is still going strong without apparent need for company of other adults of his species (three of his young offspring share the tank at present; I'll be doing a lot of separating out before the young reach sexual maturity to prevent inbreeding). When I was looking in to getting pygmies, others said one pygmy would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom