pygmy chameleons

have you ever had a pygmy chameleon? i am very interested in getting one.
(not saying that i will)

how much money are they to maintain and feed every week?

i will probably not get one, but it is something i want to look into in a year or 2.;)

Assuming you are referring to bearded Pygmy chameleons (brevs) they are not terribly hard to take care of. In a nice big glass enclosure with lots of foliage I only need to mist once a day. Many people choose to use old reptisun 5.0s so that the Pygmies get a little UVB, though some don't at all. My 4 go through approx. 20-40 crickets a week. I also use other small feeders though, so it's not always only crickets. They seem to love fruit flies and house flies that can't fly, as well as roach nymphs, sow bugs, baby silk worms, and sometimes Phoenix worms.

Assuming you are referring to bearded Pygmy chameleons (brevs) they are not terribly hard to take care of. In a nice big glass enclosure with lots of foliage I only need to mist once a day. Many people choose to use old reptisun 5.0s so that the Pygmies get a little UVB, though some don't at all. My 4 go through approx. 20-40 crickets a week. I also use other small feeders though, so it's not always only crickets. They seem to love fruit flies and house flies that can't fly, as well as roach nymphs, sow bugs, baby silk worms, and sometimes Phoenix worms.

:eek:

thats nothing like a vieled or panther! alot different to take care of is what i mean.:eek::rolleyes:

Well, there are some similarities, they are chameleons after all. They still need airflow but seem to do okay in glass terrariums. You can try to keep them in a screen cage, but keeping the humidity up would be more difficult. They don't need a basking lamp. UVB is debatable but it doesn't hurt to use an old reptisun 5.0 They still need to have their insects gutloaded and carefully supplemented. They shouldn't really be handled, and they do not tolerate warm temperatures (I'm going to say 78+ F just to be on the safe side.)

They can be kept in groups with one male (unless the enclosure is very large and densely planted) and a few females. They will breed by themselves and the females need soil to lay in. You still have to watch for signs of stress, aggression, and illness. They seem to hide it better from what I can tell.

Well, there are some similarities, they are chameleons after all. They still need airflow but seem to do okay in glass terrariums. You can try to keep them in a screen cage, but keeping the humidity up would be more difficult. They don't need a basking lamp. UVB is debatable but it doesn't hurt to use an old reptisun 5.0 They still need to have their insects gutloaded and carefully supplemented. They shouldn't really be handled, and they do not tolerate warm temperatures (I'm going to say 78+ F just to be on the safe side.)

They can be kept in groups with one male (unless the enclosure is very large and densely planted) and a few females. They will breed by themselves and the females need soil to lay in. You still have to watch for signs of stress, aggression, and illness. They seem to hide it better from what I can tell.

wow! thanks:)

Back
Top Bottom