praying mantis?

Derpy is getting bored with the insects I give her. I was thinking of getting some, but I have never had them before. I have never kept silk worms, mantis, grasshoppers, or Dubia (they're illegal to send to FL).. Do they grow quickly, like a hornworm? I really want to give the DerpyGirl something new.

Derpy is getting bored with the insects I give her. I was thinking of getting some, but I have never had them before. I have never kept silk worms, mantis, grasshoppers, or Dubia (they're illegal to send to FL).. Do they grow quickly, like a hornworm? I really want to give the DerpyGirl something new.
I love the grasshoppers (easy to care for) because they do not require water, live a long time, and it takes fewer feeders. 1 large hopper = 2.5 -3 crickets. 50 grasshoppers will last me 2 months.

I love the grasshoppers (easy to care for) because they do not require water, live a long time, and it takes fewer feeders. 1 large hopper = 2.5 -3 crickets. 50 grasshoppers will last me 2 months.
Thanks for the heads up! Where is the best place to get them? I normally only order from dubia.com and they don't have them (or crickets)

We can have discoid roaches, which are very similar to dubia. Check out http://www.lindasgonebuggie.com/page/397479218 for discoid, silkies and other Florida legal feeders. Prices are great and she’s on the panhandle, so shipping is pretty quick.

You could order silk worms from @FramsChams they will grow fast in warmer weather so keep that in mind when choosing how many! Also if you get a lot and want to keep them and feed them off for a while make sure to order extra chow to feed them. I get grasshopper from J Khai Phan on Instagram (he’s probably on Facebook as well) and also feed my chameleon .. but he’s been sold out for a long time.

I have a veiled, a beardie, pacman frog, and milksnake, so I typically go through feeders often, but not often enough to breed them.. I had a few hornworms pupate, but the moths both wrecked their wings on the screen (I'm assuming??), and couldn't fly. I kept them in one of my spare 16x24 reptibreeze enclosures. I'll post a question to see if anyone can help, because hornworms and crickets are my number one feeder at the moment, and they both have short life spans..

I have a veiled, a beardie, pacman frog, and milksnake, so I typically go through feeders often, but not often enough to breed them.. I had a few hornworms pupate, but the moths both wrecked their wings on the screen (I'm assuming??), and couldn't fly. I kept them in one of my spare 16x24 reptibreeze enclosures. I'll post a question to see if anyone can help, because hornworms and crickets are my number one feeder at the moment, and they both have short life spans..
The hawkmoths need to be able to climb and hang from something in order to fully unfurl their new wings and let them form and dry properly. This is my current set up. I use pool noodles and landscape fabric because the eggs come off of those easily. I’ve tried branches and plain screen and the eggs stuck and were destroyed when I tried to collect them. Also, I do have a small branch in their little container that I put the chrysalises so they can climb. This current batch didn’t seem to understand how to use the hummingbird feeder so I put their nectar in a small bowl. And yeah…everything was clean when I set it up. They excrete a lot of stuff while breeding.
IMG_6022.jpeg IMG_6023.jpeg

The hawkmoths need to be able to climb and hang from something in order to fully unfurl their new wings and let them form and dry properly. This is my current set up. I use pool noodles and landscape fabric because the eggs come off of those easily. I’ve tried branches and plain screen and the eggs stuck and were destroyed when I tried to collect them. Also, I do have a small branch in their little container that I put the chrysalises so they can climb. This current batch didn’t seem to understand how to use the hummingbird feeder so I put their nectar in a small bowl. And yeah…everything was clean when I set it up. They excrete a lot of stuff while breeding.
View attachment 353679View attachment 353680
This is an amazing setup you have going on! I will definitely try this.. I have SO much fabric, and I have a roll of landscaping fabric like this that I use for cardslots sewing wallets lol

I have these but I'm considering setting them free! I'm doing waaaayyyy to much. I'm actually scared of all of these bugs!! I scream several times a day, everyday. Maybe this breeding thing is not for me. Never mind the fact that I have an entire army of tiny praying mantis. I haven't figured out how to give them fruit flies. They are at the top ofcthe container. 1 false move and they can all escape. I think I need a hazmat suit.
20240327_142132.jpg

I have these but I'm considering setting them free! I'm doing waaaayyyy to much. I'm actually scared of all of these bugs!! I scream several times a day, everyday. Maybe this breeding thing is not for me. Never mind the fact that I have an entire army of tiny praying mantis. I haven't figured out how to give them fruit flies. They are at the top ofcthe container. 1 false move and they can all escape. I think I need a hazmat suit.View attachment 353681
To feed the praying mantis, try tapping on the top of their container to get them away from it. Open it either outside or in your cham’s enclosure, so any escapees won’t be wandering around your house. Tap the fruit flies in and quickly close both the mantis container and the fruit fly one. Thinking about it, best to do it outside to prevent fruit flies in your house too.
I’ve hated/feared bugs all of my life, so I’m yet to figure out how on earth I’m so casual with having and breeding them. For the longest time I’ve wondered why people like butterflies so much…they are pretty but still are icky bugs. I think it’s helped me to watch them do whatever icky things they do and develop a respect for their lives and place in nature. And some, even though I may accept and respect their presence in my home, it doesn’t mean I’ll be picking them up at all or ever. Look back at where you were when you first started this crazy journey and at all of the progress you’ve made and be proud of yourself. 💗

To feed the praying mantis, try tapping on the top of their container to get them away from it. Open it either outside or in your cham’s enclosure, so any escapees won’t be wandering around your house. Tap the fruit flies in and quickly close both the mantis container and the fruit fly one. Thinking about it, best to do it outside to prevent fruit flies in your house too.
I’ve hated/feared bugs all of my life, so I’m yet to figure out how on earth I’m so casual with having and breeding them. For the longest time I’ve wondered why people like butterflies so much…they are pretty but still are icky bugs. I think it’s helped me to watch them do whatever icky things they do and develop a respect for their lives and place in nature. And some, even though I may accept and respect their presence in my home, it doesn’t mean I’ll be picking them up at all or ever. Look back at where you were when you first started this crazy journey and at all of the progress you’ve made and be proud of yourself. 💗
Ok. I did it! My mantis army has fruit flies. Whew! Taking them outside worked like a charm!

Back
Top Bottom