Potential Greenhouse Build

Fretfreak13

Hello CF! This is my first post on this forum, and even though I am a beginner I thought I'd hang out on the freerange fourm because of the greenhouse plan I'd like to put into play. Also, you'll soon learn I type a lot, but I try to bold important things to be less annoying.

Currently I am a 19 year old college student and having a little reptilian buddy is out of the question for me for the next few years, so please keep in mind that any whacky idea I throw out as a new keeper will be researched for at least three years before it is attempted. Please don't tell me "you need to do more research, you dumb noob", that's why I joined this joint. ;] Please pick apart my plans and help me fix them.

My true passion is saltwater reef aquariums and at the moment, seahorses. From what I've seen, chameleon proofing seems a bit like pony-proofing an aquarium, but without the water. I've worked at a public aquarium for awhile, and now work at a saltwater fish store because I prefer the small-business atmosphere.

My dad and I are very aquatic-involved, and what originally sparked this idea was the fact that his 2ft+ Japanese koi are being left to me in his will, and many of them are older than I am! They currently live in a 15,000 gallon + pond that he dug and planted with his bare hands. Because I am so young, I know the first house I live in out of college will probably not be my last, so I really don't want to dig a pond until I know I'm staying put for awhile. My next idea was to build an above-ground pond similar to the one pictured here.

Most likely to be cost effective, the pond frame will be built with cemented cinder blocks and a pond liner, strategically decorated with either cobblestones or thick tree branches cut length-wise and attached to the sides to make it look a bit more nature-oriented.

2yv1em1.png

Onto the cham...

For the past few days I've been scouring this site for information. From what I've read, I want a male. Having a gravid, free-roaming female sounds like a nightmare. Who knows where she'd lay! I'm also thinking I'm going the panther-route as well for the beautiful colors! Would this be a good choice for first cham?

Chameleon Proofing:

With concerns for the pond, it will be completely covered with a DIY top made from door-screen. However, the waterfall will be exposed, but wont be large/deep enough for him to be submerged. Would this be dangerous to the cham in any other way?

All outlets will be GFCI protected and covered with something like this.

His water source will be from a sprinkler system using RODI (have it for the reefs) water for the plants, and I understand and hope he would not drink from the waterfall. That's for O2 exchange (and aesthetics) for the pond, but if it will be a problem I can rearrange my plans to have a small fountain beneath the cover instead.

I've also read that normal greenhouses do not allow for the passage of UVB rays for the little cham. Here's my plan for lamps for the little fellow! The top and bottom of the canopy will be screened for ventilation, but the lights themselves will be hung inside the canopy so they aren't laying on top of the bottom screen where his little toes could be burnt. I'm still not completely set on dimensions of the greenhouse, so I wont know how many lamps will be needed to light his side of the greenhouse, but that will be addressed when the project gets put into play.

Substrate! The floor of the green house will be cobble filled in with smooth stones (not gravel), and all plant pots will have them as well. Good, right?

For the subject of heating and humidity, I actually have to do a bit more "greenhouse" research rather than cham research because of the different kind of system. I'll get to it though, I already know thats possible.

For feeding I would like to get him accustomed to a dish (pop-bottle method) in the corner of the room, which you can see on the diagram. Not totally sure on diet yet, more research will need to be done, though I realize he also may eat some plants. I'm generally ok with that, and all species in the greenhouse will be geared twords the cham. Non-toxic, same humidity needs, etc.

I think this whole post is geared twords my concern with the pond and my cham proofing for that. Keep in mind the real reason for this greenhouse is for the koi. It would be wonderful to add a cham to the family, but if it can't be done, so be it. Thoughts? Opinions?

Oh, and last but not least, this is a next-to-pond necessity. ;]

Great first post! Looks like you have done your research! This looks absolutely amazing!!! I have a geodesic greenhouse that i plan to let my cham chill in this summer. Your plans look amazing! you were talking about not wanting your cham getting into the pond, at first i was going to suggest putting screen on top, that was until i saw what your pond was going to look like. Sadly i think you are going to have to put a large screen on the right side of this little area. I know that seems like it is join to confine him, but i see that as being the only way for him to not get to the pond. Again welcome to the forums! you are going to learn a lot and meet some crazy people!!! :) enjoy!!!

Why thank you! I do need to point out that the graphic design of the 3D greenhouse was not my own, but I will be copying it almost exactly. I should have mentioned, but the area where shelving units meets the pond will be covering the water and actually hiding my filter system. That part isn't exposed at all, and the entire top of the pond will be sealed off from the little fella.

I've been looking at other lizards to keep in the greenhouse if I was directed away from the chameleons, but I just keep coming back to these guys. I think its the seahorse-like tail... lol

**EDIT: OH! I just realized what you meant. Picture ripping off the screen door of your house and setting it on top of the pond like a flat cage over the water. Essentially that's the idea, not screening the area vertically around the pond.

Hum not sure what you mean there. But I think that the only way to know if something is going to work, it try it! Lol. If it doesn't look safe then don't do it. I can't wait to see what you come out with! Keep us all informed with lost of pictures!!!

Wish I could show pictures, but not for a few years. This project is a long ways away, but I'm a compulsive planner. It irratates my boyfriend, but it means that by the time I start something (or get an animal) I am no longer a noob. lol

Here, I photoshopped this for ya. This would be the viewpoint from standing in the middle of the room facing the far left corner where the shelving unit meets the pond.

2latw2h.png

I would say just put a vertical screen up around the sides of the pond just for extra protection. Chams are quite nifty and they will find a way around any optical. I do the same thing haha and if makes my girlfriend nuts because every week I am designing a new cage and she yells at me cuz I am going to spend money again ahha.

This all sounds good to me. I really like the light canopy idea, that's really neat.

Panthers are definitely a good choice, they are a good size so you wouldn't lose him in the green house and colorful. They are one of the top 2 species we recommend for beginners, so you should do fine with one.

Thanks for all the input, everyone! You guys will probably see this thread archived and brought back a few times in the next few years while I tinker with more "full" ideas. Drawing that little pond diagram was a pain on PS, so if I can find a scanner I'll sketch up the full inside of the greenhouse by hand with a lot more detail.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking about making that "pond top" out of black plastic eggcrate (often used in reef systems, but its a lighting/electrical part). The only way the little guy will be able to get through it is if he breaks it, or if something spooks the bigger koi and they jump and break it. Its not too easy to break and I need a hammer to do it, so I'm thinking that would be awesome!

The eggcrate shouldn't bend like window screen would if he were to walk on it.

The big screen around the pond is also an option like ForestJungle suggested, but I think it would be much harder to get to the pond itself to do maintenance and feeding.

Now to find that scanner...

You should look up geodesic domes. They are greenhouses that are based around a koi pond. It needs it for the heat, and the humidity. I myself own one and have 15 angle koi in it. I have had -20f and the water has never been under 50f so its pretty awesome. Plus they have a lot of room for chams to chill in!!! :)

Never heard of that term before, thank you! *off to google*

I finished up a full drawing of my idea but I think I"ll just have to draw it out on PS more. However, that might change after this most recent suggestion. ;]

Back
Top Bottom