Possible health issuE

Jordan88

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled 6 months old I have had him for 3 months.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? When his cage gets cleaned I put him in a little free range.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He gets fed 15 small crickets(using small because the large are too big). He is fed at 630am am because I have to leave for work.he gets 3 wax worms a week. I cut load with clunkers cricket food (just read that is junk) I picked up squash, lettuce, apples, carrots.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Dust with exo-Tera calcium w/o d3 every day and exo-terra calcium with d3 twice a month, exo-terra multi vitamin twice a month.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? He has a mistking with two nozzes directed at the plants(sheflerra 5 mistings and day for 1 minute at a time (730am,930am,12pm,230pm, and last misting at 5pm for 30 seconds) his lights shut off at 7pm he has a dropper as well that gets filled twice daily(little dripper), he does start opening his mouth but I haven't seen him drink much.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Brown not runny with white urinate sometimes has a little yellow tinge to it

Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No he has not.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Purchased at Pisces pet emporium. He has had 5 full body twitches with mouth open but only lasts like 5 seconds.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I built him a 4'long by 3'wide by 4' tall cage(3 sided wood and top and whole front screen.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Lights come on at 630, I use a 100 watt exo-terra basking bulb, two 48" 5000k daylight tubes, and a 48" reptiglow 10.0 T8 uvb(have a 48" repti sun 5.0 T8 on order as none of the local pet stores carry the 48") all lights are on for 12.5hrs.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? My house temp is at 72F the basking spot is 90F middle of cage is 72F and lowest branch 65F(needs to be warmer)

Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Overnight the house drops to 70F I measuer ambient in cage with the hydrotherm programable unit(lights are not controlled by this tho just my humidifier. All other temps measured by a westward Tempature gun.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?humidity is 65%, achieved by misting. and a humidifier controlled by the hydrotherm and measured by it too. Humidity drops to 47% at night.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Use live sheflerra plants new soil and washed, trying to get 2 good pothos for it too. There is also fake plants and vines as well.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?cage located in a spare room. No fans air vent is on other side of the room. There is no traffics in this too at all.top of cage is at 6'6" off the floor.

Location - Where are you geographically located? Alberta, Canada

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. He seems to always "hug his branches" and doesn't stray far from the baskin spot(cage pr b too duras tic temp change?) he also never straysfar from dark colours unless he sees me put crickets in his feeder cup then he lightens up a bit. I know that the enclosure change will stress him out but in his other cage it was the same thing always dark except when sleeping or feeding. I have only seen his body spasms 5 times and he has done that from day one. His legs seem to be straight and his casque is straight. Doesn't shake when walking he will often rub his back left foodon the vines sometimes when walking almost like he can't find the vine. He shed 7 days ago but his head still stays dull grey too. Has a strong grip as well. He just does not seem very active to me either

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 221
Can annoy one give me some suggestions? Do I need more green in there or mayby another heat light to get the ambient temp up?

Nothing obvious is jumping out at me. Some veileds go through a brownish color phase at this age. He will probably start getting his full adult coloration soon. What happens if he sees his own reflection? You may see a very dramatic color change if he starts displaying to himself. He looks OK in your picture. Many male veileds have a paler head than the rest of the body. It looks OK to me.

Also, when a cham is settled into its territory they are not always very active. He may be pretty content in his space and his favorite place to hang out most of the time tends to be farther back in his space. I'm not sure what you meant by "body spasms"??

If he's eating and drinking well he may be fine.

The only thing I would add is that he definitely can handle large crickets at his age. (not that this is your question...) He could be "stretching" his skin preparing for a shed? I don't see anything that looks out of the ordinary. You could try to use a second basking lamp on the other side of the enclosure (maybe a different wattage) and see if he wanders around more.

That you I'm always concerned with my animals (my veiled,bearded dragon and my pit bull) lol my female veiled past 3 months ago I spent 1500$ on getting eggs removed and spayed and she had a good recovery. But 6 months later I woke up to 43 eggs on the bottom of the cage.... I was not happy at all with the vet cause they gave me papers guaranteeing she as spayed so there was no lay bin she was prob too stressed and couldn't pull through.

And perfect that makes life easier all I gotta do is buy 200 large crickets no more different sizes lol

And ya he has to be drinking he pooped about an he ago and nice brown poop and good white urinate(bit of jelly around it)

The spasms- he opens his mouth wide and his whole body shakes only for about 5 seconds.

I'm installing a second lame on the other side

That still didn't raise the temp near the bottom so I'm going to try a small space heater and raise the room to 72F and then drop basking bulb size if need be

I wouldn't worry about the lowest portion too much. Most of the time that area will go unused. It may actually be more beneficial to have that type of temperature variance. Your chameleon can choose the perfect temp for his needs ;).

Ok sounds good I'll just monitor it for a while I was only concerned because he will bask for a while then roam around but not for long. Then he's right back to the basking. Spot. I added a 50W halogen at just past centre closer to cool side so I'll see what that gives me I won't use the heater at all I don't think.

Back
Top Bottom