Please identify what is sticking out of cham's vent area

jade2122

So for the last week I had noticed a little "bump" poking out of my 4 month old male panther cham's vent area. I'm guessing he is too young for a sperm plug? Also, it is reddish in color. Please let me know what you veteran's think it is and if I need to schedule a vet appointment or not. He has been very active, eating, drinking, etc all other ways normal. Here are the best 4 pictures I could get of the area. Thanks!!

60014e25.jpg
[/IMG]

b2d33b91.jpg
[/IMG]

6139d503.jpg
[/IMG]

1d5ae069.jpg
[/IMG]

I just want to make sure my baby is going to be ok. The base of the tail is rather "bulged" but not sure if that is normal for a young man or not. He is rather large for his age.

Jessica

No def not sperm plugs. I have never had a cham have a prolapse so i hope that not what you have going on there. Someone with exp with vent issues will speak up.

When my chameleon had a prolapse his insides stuck out a lot more... Does it go back in?

Most of the time it is sticking out a little, but on occasion it does seem like it is in. One day he had one little bump on each side sticking out. Kinda confusing, but for the most part that one side has the bump sticking out a little. He doesn't seem bothered and it is not getting any worse, been kinda just sticking out a little for about 5 days now.

If it's not going back in, it's possible a visit to the vet is in order.

As a possible "in between" step you might send your pictures (which are very illustrative, by the way, I appreciate that) to your vet to see if he/she thinks it warrants a visit.

I've encountered my male Fischer's in a state of apparent excitement and it protruded more than that, but really was very close to that second picture..I suppose it's possible that he's just surging with hormones and it shows....that would be something a good reptile vet could determine.

I would see a vet, and if you don't have one I would see Dr. Ivan Alsonso, at Kirkman Animal Clinic (407) 295-7547. He is wonderful with chameleons. I wish i were close enough to drive over to see him.:(

I would see a vet, and if you don't have one I would see Dr. Ivan Alsonso, at Kirkman Animal Clinic (407) 295-7547. He is wonderful with chameleons. I wish i were close enough to drive over to see him.:(

I agree. Dr. Alfonso is my chameleon vet and I drive 2 hours to see him. I would take him asap and keep the part sticking out moist with some KY Jelly until you can get him there. Dr. Alfonso's website: www.kirkmanareavet.com He's right off I-4 close to Universal Studios. He's open a half day on Sat.

Well good news is today Bach has pulled back in whatever it was sticking out of vent. Will continue to keep an extra close eye on the area.

That's good...it might have just been a hormonal phase and he might just be an well endowed male. Keeping an eye on it is smart, though.

[joke]Maybe you can advertise his assets on the chameleon breeding circuit?[/joke]

Lol good idea, he is definately "large down there". Figuring his size and color are advanced for his age it may have just been hormones in overdrive. I am do relieved it is better today!

So for a day his vent area was back to normal but when I got home the next day it was out again. During that day he had both sides out like he was trying to squeeze something out and rub it on the vines. He got a little bit of white stuff out but now that one side is hanging out slightly again. I am going to call vet and try to set up an appointment soon, but I am thinking it is just a hormonal issue and maybe he is having a hard time expelling his sperm? I know he is kinda young but I think it may be hormonal issues and him not being able to properly get out the sperm? He is large and super colorful for his age so maybe his hormones are developing early as well? Just would like some input from you guys but either way I will be taking my baby to the vet as soon as I can get an appointment.

When was the last time he eliminated?
Have you tried soaking him in a tub of warm water for 20 to 30 minutes?
This can be very effective in encouraging a bowel movement ...
He may be a bit impacted or constipated.

-Brad

Brad, are you saying what is in the picture is not a hemipenis? Or are you saying that being constipated might force his hemipenis to protrude from the vent?

Brad, are you saying what is in the picture is not a hemipenis? Or are you saying that being constipated might force his hemipenis to protrude from the vent?

The latter.
The hemipenis often protrudes during a bowel movement. If there is pressure behind it (backed up fecal material) it could cause the slight protrusion we see in the pictures.
A warm soak and gentle massage of the area might be enough to loosen things up.
This is what I would try.

-Brad

He needs to see a Vet. You do not want his hemipene hanging out for any length of time. This certainly endangers his life.

He needs to see a Vet. You do not want his hemipene hanging out for any length of time. This certainly endangers his life.

I agree.
Even though he is eliminating regularly, it would not hurt to try the soak and massage ... this would not be instead of a vet visit ... but it would be interesting to see if it produced any results.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom