Playing the waiting game..:)

Just to put it out there im not the one incubating lol, thats all the breeder.
And yes they are the "dog" of the reptile world, if handled rite it will never leave your side.

What kind of tegu are you getting? I just picked up a paraguayan red from underground reptiles a few months ago. He is hibernating now. I want to get a high contrast red from varnyard herps next year. Tegus are really cool. I cant wait for mine to wake up and get big. Are you going to keep it outside when it gets big? Thats what I plan to do with mine. You are in TX you probably have pretty mild winters.

Woah, so how do they do it? I mean hibernation of course;)? Do they burrow in something of just stay in there hide all winter?

Woah, so how do they do it? I mean hibernation of course;)? Do they burrow in something of just stay in there hide all winter?

Tegus like to have something they can burrow into. A lot of people provide them with man made burrows. And they chill out in there for a few months.

Just keep up on the handling.
I have some adults I picked up as adults from agama international after Bert's death and they are not pets like the ones you see on youtube.They were 3 of something like 300 breeders at his place and obviously no time to play with all those tegus. I got 3 - one huge and ancient male is handle-able with caution, the other two are not.

If not handled regularly, they can become territorial and defensive- I have a male over 4' long that will chase me out of the terrarium (it's a walk-in 8'x8' outdoor terrarium I am talking about with plenty of cover and an underground den- he chooses fight over flight).

They have big teeth- different than other lizard teeth I have seen- more cone shaped than the flattened triangle shape of most lizards- kind of like a dog and powerful jaws that open wide. Would not want to get caught by one.

They are really beautiful though. Skin feels incredible and I've met some really nice tame ones in person and there are some amazing ones on youtube. Maybe this summer I will have some babies from mine that I can keep tame. This summer mine bred but I could not find the eggs until it was too late...

What kind of tegu are you getting? I just picked up a paraguayan red from underground reptiles a few months ago. He is hibernating now. I want to get a high contrast red from varnyard herps next year. Tegus are really cool. I cant wait for mine to wake up and get big. Are you going to keep it outside when it gets big? Thats what I plan to do with mine. You are in TX you probably have pretty mild winters.

Hes going to be just a normal Tegu, i wanted an All American or Blue but just dont have the money for it. I want to keep it in side most of the time, its just easier to me to keep tabs on all my critters

Back
Top Bottom