Plant ID / Safety help plz? photos inside

Philodendron vs "philodendron" Monstera deliciosa!

Most of the "conflicting opinions" about "philos" come from ignorance. Not to sound harsh... these are different plants. --->

its on FL chams safe list ... i have one so i hope its not toxic ...

SPLIT-LEAF PHILODENDRON also CUT-LEAF PHILODENDRON (Monstera deliciosa)

iv never really had a cham that loved to chow on his plants .. so idk could be. I do recall having read some if not most philodendron being toxic though, one that i really wanted to use =/ lol. But i think FL chams list is pretty trusted ..

I have heard conflicting reports on the philo's as well but I know they are very commonly used in dart frog setups, so I am under the impression that any toxicity that does exist is in terms of ingestion and not skin-contact.

My guy never munches on anything but his food so its a minor problem but I am still keeping an eye out on alternatives...

Philodendron and Monstera look very similar, so much so they are often mislabeled at plant stores.

They are not the same not even in the same genus. They are both in the family Araceae that is used to classify a broad range of evergreen shrubs.

Monstera grows edible fruits (they taste imo like a mix of banana and pineapple but look much like a corn cob, they burn your tongue like the bite of wasabe if eaten not yet ripe)

while Philodendron [split-leaf variety(common name) or otherwise] is on many lists rated as one of the top house plants to cause injury through ingestion. Its up there with Diffenbachia and other toxic common
house plants.

To humans over one year of age the toxicity of philodendron should be too low to cause many problems. It is a mild to moderate irritant particularly the sap. It is not recommended to be kept around small children. I would not use it in an enclosure personally. imo dart frogs ingest very little if any plant material in their enclosures.

I have grown both.

@peritanz: thanks for that reply. the toxicity via ingestion was exactly what I was under the belief of.

Similarly, since its only via ingestion and as you said frogs dont eat it its fine for them. I'm under the same impression with my cham...he never touches any plant matter so I don't think it'll be an issue, but seeing as how my original plants had the same problem, this puts me back at square 1 :\

That plant should be fine. I have used Elephant Ears and Phils. on and off for many herp species and have never had an issue. I love them in tree frog enclosures! Nice large leaves for them to sit and sleep on. I would use it. Goodluck!

From what I've read, elephant ear can be at least somewhat toxic to humans, cats, and dogs. The most common effect on humans seems to be soreness of the throat and tongue. Other than that, I've also read that the plant is high in oxalates. If your cham were to eat much of the plant, even if the toxins don't have an effect, the oxalates will. They interfere with calcium absorption and can lead to MBD.

If it were me, I would either return the plant or keep it somewhere away from the cham and other pets.

As far as a similar-looking alternative... I'm sorry, but I'm not that good. xD

Maybe I can try to find something later, but I'm tired (and supposed to be writing an essay).

Info: http://www.pawsdogdaycare.com/Start-Up-Services/Plants-Poisonous-To-Pets-Elephant-Ears.htm

However is that not the same situation with the feared by most, loved by chameleon owners plant Pothos?

Green house plants.

Regardless of what one uses remember that many green houses spray for 'critters'. I now take cuttings to get more plants. I also repot new plants and keep them outside were they get watered and rained on to 'clean' the leaves of fertilizers and pesticides.

Regardless of what one uses remember that many green houses spray for 'critters'. I now take cuttings to get more plants. I also repot new plants and keep them outside were they get watered and rained on to 'clean' the leaves of fertilizers and pesticides.

This thread is kinda old, but you can soak your plants roots and all in a 10% bleach solution for 1-3 minutes and then in plain distilled water for 5-10 minutes to clean off the bugs and the pesticides.

By keeping your plants outside, you are introducing them to many unknown and uncontrolled other bugs, bacteria, what have you. In most cases, at least with chameleons, it doesn't matter that much, but it can matter with other animals.

@Goldenarcher: yep, but unless the animal is eating a lot of leaves, it is unlikely to be an issue. the primary toxicity concern that we have to deal with are touch, not so much ingestion.....although I've heard of some veileds really liking their vegetation, I guess it might matter more there (my panthers never eat leaves)

Back
Top Bottom