Piping Egg Stopped Moving

I have a panther egg that is months overdue and was started to turn brown so I assumed it was going to die but waited anyways. I came into the animal room today and found it somewhat deflated of the egg juice or whatever you want to call it and split and one end with half a head out. I understand it can take a day for them to wiggle out but its been 4 hours and it hasn't moved once, its about 74F and its in a very humid incubator. So yeah....is this normal?

If it don't come out on it's own it probably wont be strong enough to make it I'm sorry to say. But if you feel like that is the only chance it has then you could help it. But If it looks like it is still moving I would leave it be. Good luck.

They can take a day to get out. And, yes, they do look so still you think they must be dead. Do not be in a hurry to help it out. They have a blood system that encircles the inside of the egg and it needs to seal itself off. It takes a while for the yolk to be pulled into their belly, too. As a general rule, I think most experienced breeders have never had a good outcome when they have had to pull babies out of eggs.

Four hours does not strike me as a long time.

Last edited:
They really do look dead when they are in this stage, just gathering the strength to make that final push out. A lot of things happen between when they first start to pip and hatching. One thing is that the yolk needs to be pulled into their abdomen. Another thing is that the circulatory system on the inside of the egg needs to shut down and seal off. Both things take time. Let the baby decide when it is ready to hatch.

It really doesn't matter if it is breathing or not. If it is dead, you certainly aren't going to revive it with artificial respiration. If you try to open it up you could kill it. I've opened up eggs that I was pretty much 100% sure were dead and it is not actually all that easy to do.

Leave it alone. If it is alive, it can breathe. Make sure the humidity is up in the wherever you were incubating it in. Let nature take its course. Four hours is nothing. It can easily take a day or more. If it can't hatch on its own, its prognosis is very poor anyway.

12509275_946734925373784_6444012706210113015_n.jpg
:D

I can't see the picture but I see a happy face. I gather baby hatched okay? Repost the picture. We all love baby pictures!

Thanks! Congratulations. Scary how dead they seem, isn't it?" I had one with its head out for something like 24 hours without any progress and it looked dead as can be. It hatched just fine.

I can vividly remember losing 5 Lateralis clutches within 3-4 weeks of hatch.

The power in my home went out while i was sleeping and turned back on within an hour, when i got home from work the following day i found my thermostat had malfunctioned pushing temps to 98 degrees for nearly 16 hours. I was absolutely devistated.

Glad the little guy made it..

Back
Top Bottom