Pinky Mouse?

Keke6438

Hello! My 3 year old female veiled chameleon just finished laying eggs and is quite skinny and a little thin after laying. Could I fed her a single pinky mouse as a treat for a little bit of extra protein and fat?

How many eggs did she lay?
Did you take her to the vet?
Did she lay them like in a hole and fill the hole in after?

yeah could we uhh get um your care guide maybe.??
emergency reptile caloric supplement when he got old and stoped eating. syringe hand feeding the last three years everyday. With crickets that I would kill and then literally just put them in his mouth and he would chew them. He knew I was there to help him he was a different type of Cham... personality wise he would run to me when I would open his cage up. Even hand watered him. Rip Sammy the Sambava you had a great life!

emergency reptile caloric supplement when he got old and stoped eating. syringe hand feeding the last three years everyday. With crickets that I would kill and then literally just put them in his mouth and he would chew them. He knew I was there to help him he was a different type of Cham... personality wise he would run to me when I would open his cage up. Even hand watered him. Rip Sammy the Sambava you had a great life!
He lived a long happy life. You were his servant for three years it can't get any better than that.

I'm not against feeding pinky's, but curious why people so often choose pinky mice over older types of mice(fuzzy, etc)? My understanding is pinky mice are higher in calcium and I think protein because of the milk in their stomachs, while older mice have a higher concentration of vitamins(such as vitamin A in it's preformed state). To me, getting those vitamins in their natural and more useable state would be more worthwhile than some extra protein and calcium, mostly from milk, which seem to be more easily replicated through dusting(and insects are already very high in quality protein).

Forgot to mention, I also think I saw older mice have a higher % of fat, which you don't want a ton of, but for a large, growing cham, or a recovering cham(female, underweight, etc). I don't see the harm in the occasional fatty vitamin rich treat?

Just had my male orange eye eat a pinky today he loved it!
Great good for you! I believe that there is a place for this especially with larger species or maybe even a female after laying eggs. But not something that everyone should do and not something that is a regular feeding item.

Here’s a picture of my orange Eyed parsons eating a pinky! Keep in mind he had horned worms, crickets, silk worms and Dubia roaches all available to him and he chose and sought out the pinky... that should say enough, people who say parsons can’t/ shouldn’t eat pinkies don’t know what they’re talking about these things eat birds in the wild for god sake

Attachments

• FA5BA40B-3B60-4F99-B8EE-F8242410F01F.png
    FA5BA40B-3B60-4F99-B8EE-F8242410F01F.png
    948.2 KB · Views: 129
Here’s a picture of my orange Eyed parsons eating a pinky! Keep in mind he had horned worms, crickets, silk worms and Dubia roaches all available to him and he chose and sought out the pinky... that should say enough, people who say parsons can’t/ shouldn’t eat pinkies don’t know what they’re talking about these things eat birds in the wild for god sake

Thoughts on my above post(the 'why pinky's instead of older mice')? I feel like you're having an imaginary argument, I've always been very open to the idea of feeding vertebrates. I have a Parsons myself. Unless you're addressing someone else, I didn't see anywhere people saying they shouldn't or can't eat mice.

Back
Top Bottom