phoenix worms?

eldarado

do you guys gutload phoenix worms.. and if so how and what do you use.. and do you dust them on the same schedule... and I know I keep asking about this vitamin powder repto life plus.. but it says I can use it to dust or gutload.. is there any reason not to use this vitamin powder mixed with crickets dry commercial gutload. or is it over kill for the crix or cham for that matter.. just curious...

do you guys gutload phoenix worms.. and if so how and what do you use.. and do you dust them on the same schedule... and I know I keep asking about this vitamin powder repto life plus.. but it says I can use it to dust or gutload.. is there any reason not to use this vitamin powder mixed with crickets dry commercial gutload. or is it over kill for the crix or cham for that matter.. just curious...

no need to gutload phoenix worms.. and i do not dust them.
i believe they are one of the most nutritious feeder on their own.
I think dusting and gutloading them is a bit of overkill :)

my multi vit. powder says I can gutload the crix with it.. I was thinking of mixing the multi powder with gutload for the crix..

depending on your gutload.
I recall somewhere that you mentioned that your supplements contain preformed Vit A (NOT Beta Carotene).
gut loading your crix with the multivitamin AND in addition of dusting them again with it might be an overkill.
belive me, you do not want your cham to get over dose on Vit A.
I say keep it separated.

no it does have beta carotene in it... but I was going to dust once a week but mix with gut load daily.. but if you say its over kill.. I will only dust once a week thanks..

how old is your cham?
be aware that i only say it's overkill for phoenix worms.
Definitely not for other type of feeder (like crix and supers).

Last edited:
Just going off what dodolah was saying:
Don't add the multivitamin to your crickets gutload (the gutload should be nutritious enough on its own) and don't dust your phoenix worms (they are nutritious enough on their own), but do dust crickets and superworms.

I don't know if anyone has given this to you yet, but an easy dusting schedule is:
mon/thurs - dust crickets/supers with multivitamin
tue/fri - dust crickets/supers with calcium with vitamin d3
wed/sat - dust crickets/supers with calcium without d3
sun - don't dust the crickets/supers

Just going off what dodolah was saying:
Don't add the multivitamin to your crickets gutload (the gutload should be nutritious enough on its own) and don't dust your phoenix worms (they are nutritious enough on their own), but do dust crickets and superworms.

I don't know if anyone has given this to you yet, but an easy dusting schedule is:
mon/thurs - dust crickets/supers with multivitamin
tue/fri - dust crickets/supers with calcium with vitamin d3
wed/sat - dust crickets/supers with calcium without d3
sun - don't dust the crickets/supers

4 months... your saying I should gut load the crickets with the multi vit?

Spatulars gave the right idea about supplementing.
Her schedule is very similar with mine.
And I suggest using this schedule, especially since your cham is still a baby.

Here are what i do as far as supplementing my cham:
1. Crix, super worms, roaches, and some other feeders, i gutload with a combination of dry gutload and wet gutload.
I use dry gutload from cricketfood.com and the wet gutload are: Dandelion, Kale, Collard greens, slices of apple and orange, and fluker orange cubes (the only reason i use this is because i bought them already, so as might as well use it. It's basically a glorified water source. You can have cheaper and as effective water source than Fluker orange cubes).

2. Feeders such as butter worms, phoenix worms, silkies, and horn worm i do not gutload my own. Silkies and horn worms have their own food that is good enough. Phoenix worms and butter worms are already nutritious even without gutloading.

3. For unique feeder such as moth, i do not dust nor feed my moth. This is a treat only feeder. I do not use them as my staple.
This kind of feeder is a reward for my cham :)
Another feeder is Mantis hatchling. Since they are carnivores, i gutload and dusted their food (pinheads) and then i feed the mantis to my cham.
Mantis is also a treat only feeder.

4. I gave about 24 hours of gutloading be4 feeding feeder i mentioned in #1.
and then just be4 feeding, I dust them with my supplements.

5. Feeders i mentioned in #2 are nutritious enough without dusting supplements. In fact, i suggest not to do it especially for silkies and horn worms. They breathe using tiny holes on the side of their bodies. Dusting might clogged their breathing holes causing them to suffocate and die.
Chameleon simply don't eat dead insects.

6. I see no reason gutloading your crix with your supplements and then dusted them again with the same stuff.
Although most chams usually suffer from under supplementing, there is a possibility of over supplementing them.
Both situations are bad.

hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom