Pet shop take over!

renzo0684

Avid Member
I was in the pet shop that I bought Jasper from (ya the one that gave me all the bad advise) to buy some volcanic dust (for my chinchillas) and I started talking to the owner about Jasper and how well he is doing. I showed her some pictures and she was amazed at Jasper and his home. Well she offered me a job working there to take care of the chameleons they have. She gave me a 1500 dollar card to fix up 3 cages so they can get healthy and be sold to good owners that will not kill them in a month or so.

Now my question for the breeders on here. Do you have a form you have potential owners fill out, or do you just question them? If you have a form could you show it so I could try to make one of my own =]. Thanks for your help!

I think you better off researching. And then write up a detailed care sheet for every potential customer. Let them take the time to read it. And give them names of books to read if they have no prev cham exp. would be helpful if the store sold those resources. Then explain to them the time required and the advanced nature of care needed. tell them to think this over before purchase and that should take care of the impulse buyer. Lets face it you only want people who are committed to purchase one. Also tell parents these ARE NOT A GOOD BEGINNER REPTILE PURCHASE.

One thing to keep in mind, you do want to sell chameleons. You want to be honest with people about their needs, but you also don't want to make it sound so hard that nobody ever wants to buy one. The best thing is to set up the cages properly in the store and then use that to explain to potential customers why they are set up that way. When people see it and know the reasons, they are more likely to do the right thing at home.

Oh I made it really clear that if she wanted me to help sell chameleons I am not gonna just sell them to anyone like they do to make money. I thought for sure she would tell me to take a long walk off a short cliff, but she was all for it and really wanting to learn more.

Thats great I would just put together a quick care sheet. There are tons out there that you could base yours off of. I would just make a list of everything they need in the most basic form and then add some suggestions like misting systems.

If it were me I would print off the "how to ask for help" form. Use that to ask questions and see what the know. Than give them a filled out copy for future reference. On the bottom you could reference "raising Kitty, the veiled Chameleon" and this forum. That should get them off to a good start. Kudos for working to make thinks better for the chameleons.

If it were me I would print off the "how to ask for help" form. Use that to ask questions and see what the know. Than give them a filled out copy for future reference. On the bottom you could reference "raising Kitty, the veiled Chameleon" and this forum. That should get them off to a good start. Kudos for working to make thinks better for the chameleons.

I actually already have that printed out!

Oh I made it really clear that if she wanted me to help sell chameleons I am not gonna just sell them to anyone like they do to make money. I thought for sure she would tell me to take a long walk off a short cliff, but she was all for it and really wanting to learn more.

That's excellent! It's great that you took the initiative to first take on Jasper and then show her what proper care can do. But it's also great that she recognized she needed your help. That means she really is interested in having them cared for properly.

One thing to keep in mind, you do want to sell chameleons. You want to be honest with people about their needs, but you also don't want to make it sound so hard that nobody ever wants to buy one. The best thing is to set up the cages properly in the store and then use that to explain to potential customers why they are set up that way. When people see it and know the reasons, they are more likely to do the right thing at home.

I think this is an excellent idea. Ask the store owner if she'll spring for some cards with your name and hours plus the store phone number to send home with every chameleon so they know they can call you for advice and reassurance. If not, maybe make sure your name is clear on the invoice.

I think care sheets specific to the chameleon type and with age appropriate information highlighted should really be sent home too. It can be hard to remember everything you're told when you're excited about getting to bring your new chameleon home.

I'll also say that while chameleons are not "starter" pets suitable for very young children, parents who are ready and willing to step up and either supervise or--if necessary do--the tricky stuff can make "young owner" work, so approach the family looking at the chameleons that way. As long as there is an adult taking ultimate responsibility, the technical aspects of chameleon care (measuring the temps and humidity, keeping track of the supplements) could be a very wonderful learning experience for a pre-teen/young teen.

Chameleons are not a pet for kids. Generally kids want to touch and interact with pets its hard for a young person to look and not touch. That is stressing on a chameleon. Therefore i beleive there are much better options for young people wanting to get a start into reptiles. Such as Bearded Dragons they are a much better choice for a young person.

Thats awesome that the store wants to make everything ideal for the chameleons.

However, I'm not sure I would be inquiring if the buyer is capable of owning a chameleon, because if you make them fill out a form and deny them because they don't answer the questions properly the chameleon hobby would never get new people into it. I think 90% of the people here had no idea what to do when they first got a chameleon.

Why don't you just ask the owner make sure the buyer has a proper enclosure and then inform the buyer of the requirements to keep the chameleon alive. If the store owner tells the buyer how to keep their animal alive I am sure that the buyer would do it because noone wants to spend money on something then watch it die.

I think you are both being very narrow minded and judgmental about children.

Though, note that I narrowed it to preteens/young teens...and then only with an active, involved adult. There are kids who, at 10 or 11 are more obsessive about details than most of us (certainly than me). I know at least 3 boys from the neighborhood that could easily have handled chameleons all alone without parental help at 11.

**edited to add**

Rocky posted while I was reviewing....I agree with that post 100%

Not being narrow minded. Im a parent myself and i know children like to touch and handle things. Why dont you keep the name calling out of the discussion. Im being realistic, you in my opinion are not. And i wont sell any of my babies that i worked so hard to raise to any children.

Not being narrow minded. Im a parent myself and i know children like to touch and handle things. Why dont you keep the name calling out of the discussion. Im being realistic, you in my opinion are not. And i wont sell any of my babies that i worked so hard to raise to any children.
Not all children like to touch and handle things. Many have self control. I myself am still a kid and I have two veiled chameleons that are quite healthy. Don't put a stereotype on kids. If you are really that worried, ask them questions before deciding to sell. As a seller you have the right to refuse to sell a chameleon, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give other kids a chance. If no one sold me a chameleon, well, where would I be?

There are excptions. And children like you are few and far between. If a child that had researched and knew what to do and expect of the hobby approached me I would consider it. But most children while initially captivated and excited about a new pet become quickly bored and the pet suffers because their attentions are drawwn to a new interest or toy/pet. Sadly that happen all to often to pets that sold at pet stores. thats called being a realist not an idealist. Im not letting my animals suffer because i hurt someones feelings.

"Narrow minded and judgmental" is hardly name calling...

Some children like to touch and handle thing, yes...not all.

There is no group in which every single individual fits the profile and that includes children.

One of the kids I think could have handled a chameleon at 11 has Asperger's...He doesn't want something he can hold and cuddle, he wants something that needs to be measured and monitored. He wants to keep records and chart behavior. He hates the very idea of cuddling.

Just noting that an employee at a pet store can't ask a prospective family "does your kid have Asperger's?"

The important thing is if a child (which I would define as under 16 in this circumstance) wants to purchase a chameleon there needs to be an adult (or adults) who is willing to accept responsibility for the care of the animal. In that case, the child is "owner" in name only (scroll back up to my first post on this and note the italics). The adult should be involved in all aspects of the purchase and be given separate copies of care instructions.

**edited to add**

Texas Panther Man posted:
And children like you are few and far between

No...really, they aren't. It's just that they are nerds and geeks and a lot of kids won't associate with them because of it...as a second generation nerd herself, my daughter has several of them on her radar as possible future boyfriends (or, at least, her first generation nerd parents do....that Asperger's kid is the best...he'd need to wear earplugs pretty much 24/7 because she's really loud, but other than that, they'd be great together)

I was able to make my personal beliefs and opinions heard without the use of negative remarks about you. That is why i referred to it as name calling.

I was able to make my personal beliefs and opinions heard without the use of negative remarks about you. That is why i referred to it as name calling.

How could I tell you that you were not posting well without using negative terms? You insulted children with your post. I'm sorry that as a parent you don't see why that is bad, but I do. It seems that Syn does as well.

Syn...I would apologize for the implication that you might be a nerd or a geek, but I have been labelled both and wear those labels proudly.

If you do not fall into those categories then that's just proof that more young people are capable of handling chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom